Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 24th May 2010, 09:36 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Myofascial Release Therapy

Hi everyone,

I have a fab new physio, who is teaching me some very useful exercises to help build on the basic core stability exercises that I already knew. We've been focusing on supporting my lumbar spine, but he noticed that I have permanently spasmed-up shoulders too and has offered to do some myofascial release work on them next time I see him.

I've tried shoulder massages plenty of times and they've never done any good, but I have never actually had any myofascial release work and I bet this would be a lot more effective. So, please can anyone tell me about their own experiences with this?

Ta

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:45 PM
SSO Groupie!

Default Re: Myofascial Release Therapy

Hi Toni

My old physio first mentioned myofascial release to me and now I see a lady who does it. It really helps and I can hear my muscles letting out little creaks and cracks as she's doing it. It's not painful like other stick your thumbs in muscle type massages. It can feel quite tender afterwards and the therapist advises me to drink plenty of water afterwards to help get rid of the toxins.

Hope that helps
Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!
Old 24th May 2010, 10:57 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hooray! I was hoping you'd reply Ali, I was sure this was something you'd had

I'm really looking forward to it. I think it *may* hurt a bit with me as I am always very tender around my shoulderblade area and it was painful when the physio prodded it briefly today, but I got the feeling that it would be beneficial even if it did hurt initially. Even from the couple of seconds he touched my back, I could tell he understood exactly where the spasm was and which muscles are causing probs - I think he's an ace physio, he's only a young chap but really seems to know his stuff. I'm really looking forward to it actually
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:19 PM
SSO Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
I think he's an ace physio, he's only a young chap but really seems to know his stuff. I'm really looking forward to it actually
You be careful with nice, young, male physios They'e dangerous!
Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!
Old 31st May 2010, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

I had this done by a lovely private physio in Bromley a few years ago and it really helped me a lot. I felt a lot more balanced. It was such a fab feeling that, when I came out of the clinic, I felt as if my shoulders were a pair of headlights, perfectly balanced. I was only one of a few people with scoliosis this physio had ever treated and she was fascinated at how easy it was to balance me out. And yet, pretty fast, I would ping back into my old self again. I wish she was near me now as I would love to try this kind of thing on a more regular basis. I only saw her a few times because I was only in the UK for a quick visit.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:40 PM
OrangeL

Ooh yes, it's fantastic! My physio does this too - she seems to think myofascial problems are a major cause of back/neck/shoulder pain - not necessarily related to scoliosis, but just in general. I have never found the myofascial release to be painful at all - it's not like a deep massage. In fact it sometimes feels like she's not doing anything much at all because the touch is quite superficial but I really feel the benefit afterwards If any of you get a chance to try it, I'd definitely recommend it!
Old 1st June 2010, 07:26 PM
SSO Groupie!

The lady I see does this thing at the end where she kinda rolls the skin between her thumb and fingers up and down my back. Sooooo nice!