Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 21st April 2010, 04:19 PM
OrangeL

Default Pillows

Ive used a memory foam pillow for about 3 years now and I cant sleep on anything else.
I dont know whether it just needs changing now but it feels hard and uncomfortable and if I sleep on my side when I wake up my ear is painful where ive lay on it.

Ive been looking at buying a new one but was wondering if any of you use the contoured one and if so is it comfortable? The one I have now is a normal pillow shape.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:22 PM
SSO Groupie!

Default Re: Pillows

I hate pillows! I quite often end up sleeping without one. Mine is all squished up and the bit I put my head on is completely flat.
Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!
Old 21st April 2010, 05:32 PM
OrangeL

Ouch-i couldnt sleep without a pillow. I only have to sleep with my head slightly slanted and im in pain for a couple of days.

Problem with my memory foam is my head is always in the middle and its permenatly flat there so i reckon it needs replacing.
Theres loads on line but i worry they might be too hard-or are all memory foam ones hard?
Old 21st April 2010, 06:21 PM
Be happy and... Smile!

If my head's too low I get headaches when I wake up, so I have 2 duck feather down pillowcases and a memory foam pillow too
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary..." - Steve Jobs
Old 21st April 2010, 09:09 PM
OrangeL

I've got a variety of pillows! The Tempur one is fairly soft and one side is cool and the other warmer - it's quite heavy and fairly large though. (Got it free with a mattress!)
http://www.tempur.co.uk/tempuruk/pil...b345788eb688c6

Hubby bought a memory foam pillow that was meant to be the best thing ever (cost a lot!) but it was too hot and he found it gave him neck ache!

I also like Hungarian Goose Down pillows from M&S they are lovely and you can sink into them and move them anyway you like. http://www.marksandspencer.com/Autog...Brand=core&rh=

Then there are various other types I've tried - such as a John Lewis one that's meant to be as good as feather and down, well it really isn't it's a bit like a boulder! And a Tesco Finest that also promised much the same and didn't deliver. And some other average feather pillows and hollowfibre ones for varying bits of support.

It's a wonder I can actually get into bed with all those pillows!
Old 21st April 2010, 10:21 PM
Marvellous Moderator

I'm also one with a variety of pillows - I actually have a total of eight on my bed!! I sort of mix and match, depending on how i'm feeling. Two of them are memory foam, but one is waaay more comfy than the other. My favourite one is actually the cheapest one - 8 from Ikea It's 'contoured', and I sleep with the largest wedge part under my neck (I can't use it the other way as it gives me a head/neck ache). The other one is really firm, so I only use that if I need support between my legs while on my side. So yes, i'd say there can be differences between memory foam pillows. I would go along to somewhere like Dunelm (if you have one, if not a similar store) where you can have a feel of all the different types on offer. Of course, what feels nice in the shop might not be that great when it comes to sleeping with them, but it may well be a case of trial and error. Shame we can't do 'try before you buy' isn't it :P
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:41 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

I have a contoured memory foam pillow and I wouldn't swap it for anything Mine is quite soft and I sleep with the smaller end under my neck otherwise I get a cricked neck and headaches! Just goes to show, we're all individuals!!
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:42 AM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sal View Post
I'm also one with a variety of pillows - I actually have a total of eight on my bed!! I sort of mix and match, depending on how i'm feeling. Two of them are memory foam, but one is waaay more comfy than the other. My favourite one is actually the cheapest one - 8 from Ikea It's 'contoured', and I sleep with the largest wedge part under my neck (I can't use it the other way as it gives me a head/neck ache). The other one is really firm, so I only use that if I need support between my legs while on my side. So yes, i'd say there can be differences between memory foam pillows. I would go along to somewhere like Dunelm (if you have one, if not a similar store) where you can have a feel of all the different types on offer. Of course, what feels nice in the shop might not be that great when it comes to sleeping with them, but it may well be a case of trial and error. Shame we can't do 'try before you buy' isn't it :P
Thanks,
I will try Dunhelm Mill, I didnt realise they sold memory foam pillows.
Shame you cant try them like you can with mattresses-might look funny lying on the floor testing the pillow though!
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:37 PM
OrangeL

The selection of pillows in Dunhelm Mill was fantastic.
I bought a softer memory foam and it was only 15.
I did struggle a little last night with it as it felt a little flat and I still woke with a painful ear! My hubby says its because I have very small bony ears-could be right!
I will try and persevere with the pillow as I think you have to get used to them.