Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 16th April 2010, 12:09 PM
OrangeL

Default Scoliscore - Quo Vadimus?

Where are we going with this?

Once we hit the Intermedicate Risk Score ... it is as if we don't have the test at all as there is no predicting for "certain" what will happen. Scoliscore is in field testing now ... and chapter one in a very large book to come. And furthermore - the low scores cannot predict what may happen in old age. Scoliscore is proving (to me) to present more questions than it initially seems to answer.

Videos worth watching: http://www.spinecme.org/activity/942
Old 16th April 2010, 02:17 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Scoliscore - Quo Vadimus?

Hi Mamamax,

Thanks for posting this. I really need to do some reading about Scoliscore; it's not available in the UK as yet so I don't really know too much about it, though I know some of the consultants here are quite excited about it.

The Director of Communications at Axial Biotech contacted me a few weeks ago and said she'd be happy to answer any questions, so I'd be happy to pass on anything you'd like answers to

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 17th April 2010, 01:21 AM
OrangeL

You're welcome Toni - a parent passed it to me in an email and it was just too good not to share. I hope to finish watching all the videos this evening.

Thanks for the offer to pass on questions to your contact at Axial - that's super!

On the surface, it looks to me as if this may be a wonderful thing for the youngest in our population. What about the adults? Any application for that?

I also understand that field trials are being conducted, is there a web link somewhere that will be showing those results as time goes on?

thanks again ((hugs))
Old 17th April 2010, 02:58 AM
OrangeL

Toni - this may be more of a biology question than one for Axial - but,

If according to this test, a patient's curve will progress to surgical levels - and surgery becomes the treatment choice ... after fusion, would the spine still "try" to progress (because it is genetically geared to do so)? And if that is true then couldn't this test possibly better predict the probability of post surgical pain?

I know that seems a little out there - but since surgery could always be in my future, one of my concerns is whether or not I would still have pain. While fusion and instrumentation would hold the curve, it wouldn't change the genetic predisposition. I understand that sometimes progression occurs even after surgery, I'm thinking that could be quite painful .. so it may be important to predict such a probability and maybe this test could also (unexpectedly) do that?