Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 4th July 2014, 12:14 AM

Default help! need advice

hi guys i havnt been on here for a long time, i remember gilly and toni bunny so big hello to you all.
ok advice needed im fused from t3 to l4 4yrs post op,all great untill about a year ago and now gradually getting worse last mri showed degeneration of discs at l4 and l5 and a disc bulge but no obvious signs of root compression,i have a apt booked for 22nd july last seen a year ago, so im in agony canot sit for long or stand,or walk very far ,pains in hips and pelvis,legs just dont seem to want to work i carnt straighten up after sitting,i have been like this for a year now and have had enough, tried lots of pain meds im now on tramadol i only take one a day been on them for two weeks ,they were good at first i could actually run upstairs,but now they are not so good and i dont want to start taking the 4 a day i was prescibed as they make me sick and tired i have two children to look after so anything making me drowsy is not good, any ideas of what might be happening ,has anyone had problems with the unfused lumber area? and will that need fusing too? i just want to try and get back to normal again . hope you are all well !
Old 4th July 2014, 02:20 PM

Default Re: help! need advice

Hello and welcome. sorry to hear about this, as it sounds really horrible. I cant really help with advice and things like that, as i dont know enough about degeneration but i have heard of others with this problem before on here, so someone will hopefully come along soon and give you advice on this all
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 4th July 2014, 09:14 PM

thanks , im sure someone on here has had simular problems and will have some advice
Old 4th July 2014, 10:02 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

I was fused to L5 from the beginning, so I only have the disc between L5 and S1 left! Thankfully (fingers crossed) it's holding up at the moment and I'm now almost 9 years out from my original surgery. I did, however, have a problem with the fusion at L3 which caused my rods to break and I had to have an osteotomy and the bottom sections replaced.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:35 AM

Sorry to go off topic, but GillyG - can titanium rods break? Really? I thought they were invincible. Anyway, back on topic, I'm sorry I don't have answers for you but I hope you come across someone who can help you, and that you can get this sorted and be pain free asap
Old 8th July 2014, 10:40 AM

thanks lucy ! yes i think they can snap, but dont take my word for it
Old 8th July 2014, 10:56 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Rods may break if there is an area of non-union of the fused area of the spine, because the micro-movements caused by this non-union puts tiny amounts of stress of the rod which can eventually lead to metal fatigue. This is rare but it does happen. It was more common with the old-style Harrington Rods as they were only attached to the spine at he ends of the rod so weren't as secure as modern instrumentation (this is why Harrington patients always wore casts or braces post-op, until their fusion was looking secure).
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:03 AM

wow - isn't this forum awesome? This community and the wealth of knowledge on here is brilliant. I am so glad I found you all
Old 9th July 2014, 06:12 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

I've replied to your thread Lucie, giving you the history of my crazy rod breakages
Old 10th July 2014, 02:39 PM
SSO Groupie!

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice Lisa-Lou, other than maybe trying other medications with the Tramaol but, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're in so much pain
Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!
Old 10th July 2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks Ali.....i find the tramadol really strong they make me sleepy , i think if i take anything as well il be asleep allday