Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 24th June 2014, 08:51 AM
OrangeL

Default Re: Mr Tucker resigning from Stanmore! :-(

I realise that the whole team will be involved in the discussion but if a new consultant is appointed and he has different views- such as 'not being in favour of adult surgery' then what happens to the 'team' and its conclusions and opinions up to this point?. What I was wondering is are things discussed with other teams.

So for example if I see Mr T's team and they decide one thing and then someone new is appointed and says something different- what happens? Can I ask to be transferred to another consultant?
Old 24th June 2014, 05:23 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

That's kind of what I meant - up here all the consultants get together and discuss each case, not just the team of the consultant you're under. I have no idea how it works at Stanmore though.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:31 PM
Mod with a rod (or two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
That's kind of what I meant - up here all the consultants get together and discuss each case, not just the team of the consultant you're under. I have no idea how it works at Stanmore though.
That's what happens in Newcastle too, each Friday all the surgeons and registrars sit down and discuss each case coming up and decide who needs to be involved for each operation. This enables those who are not involved in that case can look objectively at each case. I hope that makes some sort of sense. Also post surgery each surgeon tries there best to see to see the patient rather than a registrar. I remember following my surgery my surgeon came to see me every day (even on a weekend) as I was in hospital a month. He even brought his kids in one Sunday as he was taking them out (that's above and beyond expectations to me)

I really hope everything goes well for burdle, you really do deserve it. I know you have had to fight to get to where you are now and this is just another thing you do with out. Keep fighting Burdle, I know that's easy said than done but I for one really hope this is not going to be another set back for you

Take care

Mark

Mark's a groovin an a movin
Old 26th June 2014, 02:40 PM
OrangeL

Its the same where I had my surgery, they all get together to discuss cases at meetings. When I was having pain issues before all my scans Mr Ahmed said he would discuss my situation at their meetings and they came up with the suggestion of the scans I had to check for infection and bone density. Which all came back clear.

I really hope you get seen soon Bernadette and that its with somebody understanding.
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 27th June 2014, 10:31 AM
OrangeL

My new appt. is 11/7/14 at 3.00 o'clock. My plan is to take my latest MRI and xrays ( March14) and follow up on the PLIF - I want to make sure that if Mr T was going to do this privately that I can still have it done on NHS. I just want to be in the system- regularly monitored etc. But at the same time I would like to take advantage of someone new with maybe a new opinion on the whole fusion idea

Las time I saw him ( Mar) he said it was progressing now but it was such a throw away remark. I asked what the measurement was ( as I was walking to the door) and he said 'don't worry about it'. BUT I do - I worry everyday that it is getting worse and that I am leaving it too long.

My knee has really stuffed things up as I have been so immobile for weeks so I feel it would be foolish to have the PLIF right now but I am not the best person to judge this.

I have a long 'deformity' and he says he hopes that I will not need a full fusion unless I can't cope with the pain- but I am not sure if this is the right way to go - waiting till I can't cope with it- because it scares me.

I had an apt with pain management this week. I was put on this as part of making sure that I had done all conservative routes etc. The doctor was useless. She ran out of time and went very quickly down the depression route. It is so much in vogue now- taking anti-depressants for pain and I appreciate this and I have read up a lot about chronic pain so I don't disagree but what frustrated me was that she said 'I need to have a look at your back' and told me to lie down. I suggested that she do this exam while I was standing as this is how the pain most presents but she said no she had to have me lying down. So she just focused on my lumbar pain and just prodded here and there asking if it was worse here or worse there. Well when this happens to me it's as if my back is on fire- everything hurts and I tried to tell her this is what happens with scoliosis. So she concluded that injections were not appropriate as the pain was not specific to any particular vertebrae. Well actually it is and my x-rays and Spect scan show this and while I am not keen to have injections as a mere delaying the inevitable - to have her saying thery would be no use when Mr T has specifically said that they might be worth a try annoys me. I politely asked her if she had any experience of scoliosis and of course the answer was I don't need to have experience to make a diagnosis which I feel is just not right.

Although I am dismissing her - she has got in my head and I just get so overwhelmed by health giving random opinions when they have not got the time to get familiar with your case in the first place.

So I hope to get a further update from Mr T's team that will set the scene once and for all. I am going to ask if the next letter he writes could sort of summarise the history a bit more.
Old 5th July 2014, 10:09 PM
Maddy's Mum

Gosh this is a surprise. Though I always thought how dumb it was that he had a clinic at Stanmore on the morning of the same day he had his afternoon clinic at GOSH. He was often stuck in traffic and what a waste of his time. Mr Noordeen also did the same to-ing and fro-ing and he ended up leaving GOSH to concentrate on Stanmore. I'm a bit peeved because I wanted Maddy to have the option to be his patient at Stanmore when she was too old for GOSH, though another consultant at GOSH said it would be more convenient to be on his list at Queens Square, so I guess we will do this. Hopefully the need for further intervention is over...three years post op and counting!
Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.
Old 5th July 2014, 10:20 PM
T Jr :-)

At Stanmore they also have a session where all of the surgeons get together and discuss cases - it is normally only the complex cases but essentially it is any case a surgeon is not 100% sure on. I was sat in these meetings on my work experience.

I was seen by Mr Gibson, Jay is right, however I would recommend Mr Lehovsky or Mr Molloy for an adult case as I know Mr Gibson sees a lot of teens but don't know so much about his history with adult cases however he does do a lot of complex ops on adolescents and adults with another medical condition, typically those that leave one severely disabled.

NB. Liz's daughter, Ciara, was under Mr Shaw I believe. I have met him and he is a lovely man
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).