Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 25th June 2014, 05:41 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Default Re: Introduction- Surgery in 3 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyM View Post
Ooh Jeb Corliss- he was on The Colbert Report a few years back. Honestly flying around in that wingsuit looks like the most fun a person could have. I'd love to if given the opportunity! Something tells me I'd chicken out big time though. My legs would freeze up on the side of the cliff and everyone would laugh
It takes a lot of experience in parachuting and base jumping before strapping on your Batman suit! It takes years of experience, and knowhow to progress to that level. The wingsuit manufacturing community will not sell you a suit unless they see your credentials. The guy in the video below sold a few motorcycles to raise up the cash for his jumps to do this. It takes thousands of dollars in plane and helicopter rides to progress, its not a cheap sport. Its very cool however.

Here is another vid....Switzerland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOaBBt6sQns

I have a thread on NSF about fear based decisions.....along with these videos. There are similarities. The anxiety I had while ski jumping when I was young was intense. But then again I did very high jumps all my life and destroyed my spine from all the hard landings. What a rush! I wouldn’t change a thing. Even with all the surgeries and all. I moved to lake Tahoe 32 years ago for all the deep powder and huge air.

My wings are clipped now so no more jumping.....Doctors orders. I cant handle anymore heavy duty crashes....

Its so much cheaper sticking to Hee-Haw. LOL

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:57 PM
OrangeL

Finally got my X-rays! I had to snap these with my iPhone. So from what they told me it's about 90* down to 15*- the residual lumbar curve should spontaneously correct within a few months. My left shoulder still wants to rise up a bit- apparently that will fix itself too.
Dr. O'Brien is really pleased with my progress & actually lifted all restrictions- he said do whatever I feel I can do! That was a relief, as I've been keeping myself ramrod straight for a month (gets tiring!). The incision is looking nice too- very thin. I'll try to get some pics of that tomorrow.

Did anyone else get a bone stimulator? I have to strap on this device for 30 minutes a day that supposedly promotes bone fusion by sending out electromagnetic signals! Sounds a bit odd to me, but whatever they say

Old 4th July 2014, 06:28 AM

Hayley,
You back is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Wow!! I can't imagine how it feels to see a before and after of yourself like that. Please do post pictures of your incision, as that's something my mothers worried about. I have heard of the bone stimulator, I heard that it increases the rate in which the fusion fuses. But hey, I am a rook awaiting my own surgery so don't go off of what I heard. Lol! Sounds cool though! God Bless and keep amazing me with your recovery! Happy 4th!
Old 4th July 2014, 07:33 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Hayley, you had a sizeable “T” curve going on there.....Good to get that out of the way....

You had a very nice correction! You probably grew around 2”, have you measured your height?

Congratulations!

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
Old 4th July 2014, 02:59 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Krier View Post
Hayley,
You back is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Wow!! I can't imagine how it feels to see a before and after of yourself like that. Please do post pictures of your incision, as that's something my mothers worried about. I have heard of the bone stimulator, I heard that it increases the rate in which the fusion fuses. But hey, I am a rook awaiting my own surgery so don't go off of what I heard. Lol! Sounds cool though! God Bless and keep amazing me with your recovery! Happy 4th!
Aw thanks Mrs Krier! It is pretty surreal. I knew looking at my back after years of trying to exercise the curve away that it was only going to get worse- now I feel like I can walk around without thinking about how it looks to other people. Not that the cosmetic side is the most important- it's just the most tangible reward right now

About the pic below- I probably shouldn't have said it looks "nice", as there's some scabbing that still needs to go away but most of the incision underneath all that is pretty thin. They only took off the steri-strips yesterday which is why some of the scabs haven't fallen off (sorry for being gross!). Apparently the scar remodels itself a few times over the first year, & if you keep it out of the sun it should be pretty light.

Quote:
Hayley, you had a sizeable “T” curve going on there.....Good to get that out of the way....

You had a very nice correction! You probably grew around 2”, have you measured your height?

Congratulations!

Ed
Thanks Ed! & Thanks for all your great advice over the past month. I was actually thinking pretty seriously the other day about how cool it would be to do something crazy like getting a helicopter piloting license. I feel like doing extreme things! The doctor said I can do pretty much anything I want, but he doesn't recommend bull-riding just yet. There goes my weekend -.-

It was a pretty dire before photo, I'm amazed at what the doctor was able to accomplish. I initially gained 1 and 3/4 inch (5'5 3/4" to 5'7 1/2") but I think I'm just 5'7" now.

Also- he fused less than I thought! Just to L1 even though the paper said L2- it might have something to do with my wacky 12th thoracic vertebrae- the doctor said it acts as a sixth lumbar so he may have classified it as one.
Old 4th July 2014, 03:48 PM

Wow, what a great correction you got Hayley and the scar looks nice and neat too and sometimes they need to fuse less than originally though, as they can only give a very good estimate of what needs to be done on an xray, and when they get in they sometimes do more and sometimes less than stated, but they will say if they did more, at least my surgeon did.

How are you feeling now?
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 4th July 2014, 04:49 PM

Hayley,
No mam, scabs and all....own it sister and be proud it's amazing!!! I am on a 23 day count down and seeing you and listening to what you think has really been nice! I could go on and on about how happy I am for you, your right the cosmetic side of it isn't the most important however it is very nice for ones self image and anyone who denies that is lying to themselves. Clothes are hard to find, swim suites are awful and even jeans don't fit property, one leg longer then the other etc etc. I am 28 and i had a hell of a time in high school and I am ready....I think....lol!!! Congrats again and many thanks for keeping us updated!!!!!
Old 4th July 2014, 06:31 PM
AKA Titaniumed

Quote:
Thanks Ed! & Thanks for all your great advice over the past month. I was actually thinking pretty seriously the other day about how cool it would be to do something crazy like getting a helicopter piloting license. I feel like doing extreme things! The doctor said I can do pretty much anything I want, but he doesn't recommend bull-riding just yet. There goes my weekend -.-
Your welcome....Your symmetry is fantastic and your rib hump looks like its completely gone. Nice job!

I actually posted a photo of me bull riding years ago on NSF. It was at Gilly’s in Las Vegas for lunch, and the mechanical bull was unplugged...
Yes, it was corny, but corny is ok every once in a while. he he

Did your surgeon ever talk about Dr Shelokov? They worked to together you know, and Dr S was a guru. He died mountain biking in Telluride, Colorado a few years back, it was such a shock and such a loss.

I exchanged my x-rays with them many years ago in Plano before my surgeon came to Reno. We didn’t have a scoliosis surgeon here many years ago, so I was thinking UCSF in San Francisco, or Dr Shelokov. It was a small world in scoliosis years ago....

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
Old 4th July 2014, 09:56 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
I actually posted a photo of me bull riding years ago on NSF. It was at Gilly’s in Las Vegas for lunch, and the mechanical bull was unplugged...
Oh, I never knew I had a place in Las Vegas

Hayley, the difference your surgeon has made is nothing short of amazing! Enjoy that lovely figure of yours
Old 4th July 2014, 11:26 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMoe View Post
Wow, what a great correction you got Hayley and the scar looks nice and neat too and sometimes they need to fuse less than originally though, as they can only give a very good estimate of what needs to be done on an xray, and when they get in they sometimes do more and sometimes less than stated, but they will say if they did more, at least my surgeon did.

How are you feeling now?
Hey Jay! Hope you're doing well, recovery partner! XD I'm feeling great- I'm no longer on any meds, (I take the occasional teaspoon of kids' tylenol if needed) and things are definitely getting back to normal. Next step will be trying to drive and seeing if I can check my blind spot so I can get back to work! I'm also signed up to start physiotherapy on Tuesday.

I saw in your other thread you were asking about Pilates- I think that might be a bit of what I'm going in for. I think it's probably ok if you feel up to it- I'd ask your doctor just to make sure. Mine has been very lenient with restrictions- he says "do whatever you think you can."

I'm really glad to have as many mobile segments as possible- though Dr. O'Brien said it doesn't necessarily reduce the risk of degeneration later in life when I asked. (Hopefully by then they'll have something hi-tech to fix DDD if it ever happens!)

Quote:
Hayley,
No mam, scabs and all....own it sister and be proud it's amazing!!! I am on a 23 day count down and seeing you and listening to what you think has really been nice! I could go on and on about how happy I am for you, your right the cosmetic side of it isn't the most important however it is very nice for ones self image and anyone who denies that is lying to themselves. Clothes are hard to find, swim suites are awful and even jeans don't fit property, one leg longer then the other etc etc. I am 28 and i had a hell of a time in high school and I am ready....I think....lol!!! Congrats again and many thanks for keeping us updated!!!!!
I will! It's the old self-consciousness creeping in- I have to get over that now! Thanks so much for the kind words, & it's really rewarding to be able to help!

As you can glean from my first posts I was petrified before going in, but when I woke up the recovery was really straightforward. In the hospital they basically just show you how to push the morphine button, get you up for walks and let you rest. I was pretty zonked for about a week and a half, then I was suddenly feeling much better, and I'm almost back to normal now. You'll do fine- you have a lot of great factors going for you like youth, positivity & determination. Just go in knowing you've done everything you can to prepare!

I know what you mean about clothes- I'm wearing shirts now I've been avoiding for years! High school was a drag for me too- I was in a dance class and had my warm-up partner go "you're back is so WEIRD. Like, is this your spine over here?" She didn't mean anything by it, but I was embarrassed. As for swimsuits, I'm thinking a nice racerback to cover the scar until it's allowed to see the sun! It'll be fun to try a few different options.

Quote:
Your welcome....Your symmetry is fantastic and your rib hump looks like its completely gone. Nice job!

Yes, it was corny, but corny is ok every once in a while. he he

Did your surgeon ever talk about Dr Shelokov? They worked to together you know, and Dr S was a guru. He died mountain biking in Telluride, Colorado a few years back, it was such a shock and such a loss.

I exchanged my x-rays with them many years ago in Plano before my surgeon came to Reno. We didn’t have a scoliosis surgeon here many years ago, so I was thinking UCSF in San Francisco, or Dr Shelokov. It was a small world in scoliosis years ago....

Ed
Thanks Ed! I was so relieved that he didn't need to do a thoracoplasty. I signed my consent, but I wasn't looking forward to it! That was the first thing my sister told me when I woke up- that he didn't touch the ribs. Apparently I muttered "Awesome" and went back to sleep XD

The thought of all the other forum-goers staring in horror at your bull-riding picture makes me chuckle.

Now that you mention it the occupational therapist was mentioning a surgeon who passed away mid-career. All his patients were transferred to Dr. Hostin who needed to enlist Dr. O'Brien to help. It is a small world! That's a real shame though- I'm sure he improved so many lives.

Quote:

Hayley, the difference your surgeon has made is nothing short of amazing! Enjoy that lovely figure of yours
That was my first thought too XD "Oh you had lunch with Gilly in Las Vegas? That's nice."

Dr. O'Brien definitely is a wizard! It almost seems physically impossible to shift that much curve. I'm really grateful to have gotten someone so skilled so close to home.
Old 5th July 2014, 03:59 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
Ohhh, but you do! Here it is....A take off from the original Gilly’s in Houston where the movie “Urban Cowboy” was filmed.

Mechanical bull riding is probably not advisable for us.....That’s ok, the Gilly’s girls make up for that. Ye-Ha!

Ed

http://www.gilleyslasvegas.com/bull-riding

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
Old 7th July 2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Hey Jay! Hope you're doing well, recovery partner! XD I'm feeling great- I'm no longer on any meds, (I take the occasional teaspoon of kids' tylenol if needed) and things are definitely getting back to normal. Next step will be trying to drive and seeing if I can check my blind spot so I can get back to work! I'm also signed up to start physiotherapy on Tuesday.

I saw in your other thread you were asking about Pilates- I think that might be a bit of what I'm going in for. I think it's probably ok if you feel up to it- I'd ask your doctor just to make sure. Mine has been very lenient with restrictions- he says "do whatever you think you can."

I'm really glad to have as many mobile segments as possible- though Dr. O'Brien said it doesn't necessarily reduce the risk of degeneration later in life when I asked. (Hopefully by then they'll have something hi-tech to fix DDD if it ever happens

I'm doing alright thanks, just having a bit of an issue with my neck right now, with it all going stiff and making me get a bit of a headache from it, but it all seems to be settling down now But im the same, just take pain killers when im feeling rather bad, or if ive done too much (and maybe somethings i shouldnt really of done... :S) and my muscles hate me from doing so :P so its great to hear its all getting back to normal but i was recommened to use blind spot mirrors (when i do start to) to help as it'll mean you dont have to move as much to check them.

Yeah, i am going too, just need to figure out what to put in an email first :P as i dont see him for a while yet now, at a guess in a month or so's time. Do still take it easy and dont push to much right now. Well you never know, it might happen some day.
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:39 AM

How you doing now Hayley??
Old 22nd July 2014, 02:25 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekelly View Post
How you doing now Hayley??
Doing great indiekelly! I'm back at work (the 40 minute commute doesn't feel any different, even checking my blind spots) and I've been doing physiotherapy for a few weeks. I feel pretty much back to normal- getting most of my flexibility back & building up muscle strength. Mentally I've completely moved on to other things (a collaborative project, helping my sis with her wedding, working on my resume) and when my family calls it's no longer the first thing they ask about

How about you? Is your surgery coming up soon?
Old 22nd July 2014, 02:36 PM

Ahh thats brilliant!! Such a quick recovery is so inspiring.

Still trying to debate having it i feel very certain one day then the next the opposite but I until have December to decide so a while yet!