Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Infantile, Juvenile and Congenital Scoliosis Room

Notices

Old 1st July 2014, 08:17 AM
BlueL

Default rectal prolapse

Hi all!

So that happened to O Monday. She was going potty and she yelled for me to come help her because she said she had some poop stuck that wouldn't come out. I told her no problem and had her bend over. Well it wasn't poo. It was healthy pink tissue. It went back to were it belonged and she said it didn't hurt or feel funny. I asked her if she was pushing hard and she said no. Her BM wasn't big or hard. She has an appointment Tuesday morning with her PCP because she has also had a bit of bloody mucus in her BM in the last month so I will also bring this up as something new.

My question is have any of you (or the littles) had this happen? I glancingly saw a possible connection with hypermobility.

Thanks!

Andi S
Old 1st July 2014, 11:46 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: rectal prolapse

Oh the poor little mite I'm afraid I don't know anything about this so can't help but I hope you have a good appointment with the doctor. Sending hugs
Old 2nd July 2014, 07:07 AM
BlueL

Thanks Gilly!

We did have a good appointment. It was a PCP that we hadn't seen before and she was wonderful. She set us up with a GI consult (appointment on Monday) and a Genetics consult (they can't get us in until December 17) to look for connective tissue disorders.

It was hopeful and made me feel a bit better about what to do if it happens again or if it happens while O is at school.

Andi S
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:45 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Sounds like they're on the ball at least
Old 6th July 2014, 01:55 AM

Goodness, I'm so sorry to hear!

I've had a rectal prolapse for about eight years now. It does "come out" when I go to the loo, but it always goes back in too. I have no proof, but I think that due to having a short leg/hip tilt/lumbar scoliosis and imbalanced connecting tissue that I strained too hard when I was younger.

It's liveable, but I'd see your GP about it asap.
Old 7th July 2014, 03:43 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

I thought I'd post this info up as some members may be worried about this issue but they may have haemorrhoids (piles) rather than a rectal prolapse. Haemorrhoids are pretty common, and are usually caused by straining too hard when going to the loo, but whilst the symptoms are very similar to a prolapse the treatment can be very different.

Here is some info about the two conditions.

Fingers crossed O's GI consult goes well today Andis x
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 8th July 2014, 09:02 AM
BlueL

Thanks Tonibunny!

The GI appointment went well. The doc actually thinks it is a prolapsed polyp due the the bloody mucus and other symptoms. Only way to tell for sure is a colonoscopy because the polyps tend to stay up higher than a rectal exam can detect until they prolapse. If it is polyps, it is important to make sure it is just one and not a bunch due to the cancer implications.

So we are now waiting for the call to schedule the procedure. The genetics appointment is still on for December as well.

Andi S