Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 2nd May 2014, 10:32 PM

Default Finally got my x rays done!

Heya all

After a long period, my x ray results are finally here. My official doctor's report won't be in for a while, but until then would anyone be able to help me work out what I have and by how much? They aren't in one scan alas, but my vertebrae are fairly recognisable once you see them.

Old 3rd May 2014, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Finally got my x rays done!

They should be doing full size 90cm plate scans *facepalm* no a stick together job....
Do u have any from the side images? No expert but my guess is 10-15degrees?

Ange
Old 7th May 2014, 04:54 AM

Hi Windguru,

If it helps, here is my pre-op scoliosis film as a comparison (though please just use this as an estimate because you could have different rotation than me, etc.). Before surgery my scoliosis was about 15 degrees.

http://s825.photobucket.com/user/kma...tml?sort=3&o=0

Did you get any lateral (from the side) x-rays done of your back at the same time? It would just be useful to see if your kyphosis is in the normal limits.

Also, did you have your x-ray standing up or lying down? I've heard from other folks here that standing is better since lying down can sometimes straighten out curves a bit...

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 47 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero!
Old 7th May 2014, 11:30 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hiya,

Kay and Ange are quite right. You should have had lateral x-rays taken too, and you most definitely need to have had your x-rays done standing up. From the x-rays you have it looks (to my untrained eye) like you have a 10-15 degree lumbar curve and a smaller upper thoracic curve.

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 7th May 2014, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I had my x ray standing up, and here are my lateral rays too (I just forgot to upload them as well :P )

Old 17th May 2014, 10:06 PM

Any more thoughts anyone? I still haven't heard back from the doctors yet...
Old 17th May 2014, 11:19 PM

Your lateral x-rays look very normal to my untrained eye Lucy, but your doctor will tell you properly accurate info
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 18th May 2014, 12:16 AM
SSO Triathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Your lateral x-rays look very normal to my untrained eye Lucy, but your doctor will tell you properly accurate info
Ditto this, you look good! I know xrays alone are rarely indications of pain/discomfort levels but that is a nice looking spine
Old 18th May 2014, 06:27 AM

The doctor might order furthrr investigations lik mri to ruke out if maybe your discomfort is at a more internal structures level.

Only thing I can see from the side is a slightly exaggerated lordosis might be due to pain or posture. Again not a radiologist or orthopod.

Ange
Old 18th May 2014, 07:57 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Your spine doesn’t look bad compared to some of us, but your plumb is way back. If you were to hang a string from T1, that line would fall 2 inches behind your L5. You want your plumb centered from top to bottom, with the string falling through the sacrum. Look at my x-ray in my signature for comparison.

I always had to hold my arms straight out, it looks as if you are holding a weight and are leaning back to correct for this weight.

Let us know what your doctor thinks.

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008
Old 18th May 2014, 11:30 AM

Good spot, Ed. I'm unsure as to whether that is a real problem for Lucy though. My (lay) understanding is that if the plumb line falls anywhere from C7 (base of the neck vertebra) through the sacrum then it is considered to be neutral, though it can fall somewhat to the front or the back of this structure. If the plumb line falls outside the sacrum at all, then it is either positive or negative and is more likely to be a problem.

Sagittal imbalance can cause all sorts of aches and pains though so you are bang on, this is definitely a good thing to consider and is something to ask about. Before my last surgery I was leaning backwards dreadfully due to a backwards listhesis and I still do to some extent, due to an iatrogenic flattened lumbar - this caused permanent muscle spasms, pinched nerves etc.

One thing everyone should be aware of is if the radiographer physically makes you "stand up straighter" if you lean so much your spine is leaning out of the frame. This can give the impression that any Sagittal imbalance isn't as bad as it actually is.

Please don't forget that if you're in pain Lucy, that isn't right no matter what and needs to be investigated
Old 19th May 2014, 12:11 AM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
Your spine doesn’t look bad compared to some of us, but your plumb is way back. If you were to hang a string from T1, that line would fall 2 inches behind your L5. You want your plumb centered from top to bottom, with the string falling through the sacrum. Look at my x-ray in my signature for comparison.

I always had to hold my arms straight out, it looks as if you are holding a weight and are leaning back to correct for this weight.

Let us know what your doctor thinks.

Ed
It is a very common postural problem to push the hips forward, hyperextend the knees back and lean backwards with the upper body. No-one thinks they lean back of course, they all think they are standing straight! Don't believe what your brain tells you

This is an example of what I mean:
http://corewalking.com/

And the cure? The Alexander Technique of course
Old 19th May 2014, 11:57 PM
AKA Titaniumed

I would have an orthopedic or scoliosis surgeon determine if the sagittal imbalance is “fixed” or “flexible” as in the attached article. This should be the first step.

Of course, another set of x-rays might be helpful to determine if the stance shooting the x-ray was done wrong....technically, both x-rays should match.

http://www.srs.org/patient_and_famil..._imbalance.htm

http://www.srs.org/patient_and_famil...with_aging.htm

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008
Old 29th May 2014, 02:31 PM

Well, I got a note back from my doctor today. Literally that, after three weeks waiting:

"You have slight scoliosis. Talk to your physiotherapist about your back."

I'm a little disgruntled, since I was told that my cobb angle would be analysed and I thought I'd get more details. I guess that won't actually change what I have, but I do feel a little miffed even so. Toni and Ange are about right (thanks =D), but would anyone else like to estimate things?