Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 3rd May 2014, 03:21 PM

Default Swimming...sort of!

So I went swimming today for the first time since the op. I say swimming but really it was splashing about with a float because at this stage I seem to be unable to actually swim... I think it was a combo of weak back muscles and my now inflexible spine. I managed some upright breaststroke by sitting on the float, so my arms and shoulders got a workout at least, lol! Must've looked a right idiot but I don't care because it was so nice to be in the water
Old 4th May 2014, 09:41 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Swimming...sort of!

I 'swim' sitting up too, I look like a little seahorse!!
Old 6th May 2014, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Swimming...sort of! (and looking to the future)

Lol, that's a great analogy! Seahorses are brilliant though, so I don't mind looking like one of those.

On a similar water-based note, do you know of anyone who has scuba-dived post-fusion? I can't imagine it being much of a problem, aside from lugging the tanks around, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this? It was a hobby before surgery that I'd like to pick up again.

In fact, I'm putting together a list of things I want to do once fused - as a sort of motivator. Anyone else done this? So far I have: skiing, go-karting, tennis, Alton Towers, wearing high heels, cycling and ice-skating. Not all at once, obviously
Old 6th May 2014, 01:14 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Swimming...sort of!

You'll be able to do all of those things

I was never able to do the breast stroke - I think having a large rib-hump/stiff thoracic curve as a child made it impossible before I was fused (aged 10) and it never felt right afterwards either. Front crawl is fine, as is back stroke. Before my fusion I could never swim straight because my body was so curved - it took me ages to get my 10 metres swimming cert because I'd always end up bashing into the side of the pool instead of across it

Back stroke became different after I had my fusion extended to include my lumbar spine - I found that my body floats lower in the water than it did before - but it didnt take long to adapt to this.

I've no experience of scuba diving but I love snorkelling. I actually prefer to swim wearing my snorkel mask as it's less stressful on my neck
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.