Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 25th April 2014, 12:25 AM

Default Post op recovery

Please can anyone tell us what to expect after the operation. Ryan has a 53 degree curve he is going to have top thoracic area of the spine fused and his ribs trimmed.( is that costoplasty) ryan has no pain at the moment. We are with mr Gibson.
I am trying to find out if he will be in pain and how long for. Also will he be given exercises to do? Any advice or info would be appreciated x
Old 25th April 2014, 11:47 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Post op recovery

Hi there, it certainly sounds as though Mr Gibson is planning on doing a costoplasty. Let us know if you need more info on this procedure.

Hopefully Tiff will be along soon as she had surgery with Mr Gibson in the past year or so. It's been a long time since I had my own surgeries so I can't really speak from my own experience any more! But, I do know that most kids today are up and standing the day after surgery and most go home in 7-10 days, often less, if all is well.

After surgery there is usually quite a lot of pain, sadly. The good news is that pain can generally be very well-controlled, and Ryan is going to be treated at one of the most experienced centres for scoliosis in the country. Their teams know exactly what to do to help relieve post-op pain. Kids of Ryan's age tend to recover from pain very quickly so the initial week might be miserable but he will probably find that things do improve a lot week on week. Directly after the op he may have something called an intravenous PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia device) which allows him to hit a button to top up his pain relief safely without needing to call for help to do it. By the time he goes home he'll be able to walk, climb stairs, wash himself and use the loo without needing help - the physios and occupational therapists will make sure he can do all of these things. I've never needed any aids following any of my surgeries but some people have found that having things like shower seats and grabbers can be useful; these can be organised through the OTs.

I hope that's a little helpful to you, and that you are both feeling relatively confident about things now don't worry, lots of us have been through it and are very happy that we did.

Lots of love,
Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 25th April 2014, 02:27 PM

Hi
I had my surgery at North Staffordshire on 22 Jan. I'm 39 and had 50 degree s curves in upper thoracic area so I only needed T5 a L1. I was in for 7 days. I remained in special care due to a collapsed lung so the care is good. When I went onto the ward things were different so if that's the case you must shout up as it were.
You are out of bed sitting in a chair from as soon as the second day. It's tough as your still full of drugs and yes u usually have the PCA. Possibly oxygen and lines in both arms and neck (I did), so I'm assuming that's normal. I was completely numg I'm my back initially and any movement was difficult. You will learn to log roll on and off beds.
When you get home you can expect good and bad days. Be sure to just listen to your body. I could just barely walk when I left hospital. I had no use in my arms. I couldn't do anything with them and it's taken me weeks to get that back but everyone is different. At this point you will need positivity. It's whats kept me going!!! I wasn't routinely given Physio but due to my arms and nerve pain my Gp has arranged some.
Each week you look back and things improve. I didn't have costoplasty which is considered better but the downside has been that everything has been pulled, twisted and altered shape so everything needs time to settle into its new position. Some people have a support jacket but I didn't have that either. Your youth is in your favour.
It's changed my life for the better already. My hump has gone so I can sleep with a flat back. It looks straight. With that in mind I'd have gone to the moon and back to achieve what I have now. Nerve pain has been a huge issue for me but I'm told its normal due to the op. Good luck and I'm sure you will be happy with the results xx
Old 25th April 2014, 09:33 PM

Thank you both of you feel happier already!