Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room

Notices

Old 18th April 2014, 01:47 PM

Default It's my 12 month anniversary.

It's been a year and I'm feeling great. Look great and life is pain free. I sometimes wish to do my year all over again. At least just the first few months. I loved it. Anyone else feel the same?
Old 18th April 2014, 05:56 PM

Default Re: It's my 12 month anniversary.

Lee,

It's great to hear you are doing so well at one year post op. I think I remember reading a post that you had some loose or painful screws... has that resolved itself? What level of correction did you end up with?

Thanks for posting - it's so helpful to me to hear about things going well for other SK patients out there!!!

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 47 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero!
Old 18th April 2014, 08:48 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Wow, has it really been a year already Lee? sounds like you're doing amazingly well. I'm so chuffed for you
Old 19th April 2014, 07:58 AM

The screw didn't end up moving and the fusion sealed the way it was supposed to. I did gain some extra weight over the last 12 months but I expected that due to inactivity but I was prone to.
My level of correction was in the 30 percents (give or take) or something to that effect. But I gained height and today I played soccer with my son it was THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE OF BEING A DAD.
I WAS BACK AT WORK WITHIN 3 months and off all meds not to soon after.
The bad side of last year was the death of my father but before he went he got to see me standing tall the way i was supposed to be.
But I have you Guys to thank for the support, info and kind words when I felt like crappola, so here's. BIG THANK YOU.
I still have a hard time wiping the butt, but I will manage.
Lee
Old 19th April 2014, 08:30 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1975 View Post
I played soccer with my son it was THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE OF BEING A DAD.
This is one of the most heart-warming posts I have aver read I'm so happy for you, and it's great news that the screw issue sorted itself out.
Old 19th April 2014, 05:37 PM

Awesome, Lee, I'm so glad everything has gone so well for you and that you've been able to improve your quality of life. That's what it's all about!

Nice to hear the screw issue sorted itself out as well.

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 47 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero!
Old 19th April 2014, 07:03 PM
OrangeL

That is lovely to hear Lee, just shows how this surgery can improve someone's quality of life
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 20th April 2014, 12:38 PM
OrangeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1975 View Post
It's been a year and I'm feeling great. Look great and life is pain free. I sometimes wish to do my year all over again. At least just the first few months. I loved it. Anyone else feel the same?

nice one well done

I don't know why you would want to do it again !
Old 24th April 2014, 09:10 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Congrats Lee, you've come through this surgery like a boss
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.