Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10th January 2014, 05:04 PM

Default can't lift arms

Hi all,

Been doing well until recently. My shoulders have gradually ovwr the past month become more painful and now I I can't lift them very much. Has this happened to anyone. Could it have anything to do withscrews? I can barely hold a glass of water.

Ange
Old 10th January 2014, 05:41 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: can't lift arms

I don't see why it would have anything specifically to do with screws Ange. What does your doctor say?
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 10th January 2014, 05:56 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

This sounds very odd Ange, I think you need to get checked out.
Old 11th January 2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks, onlt back in home country in 10days. Thought was developing frozen shoulders but its both sides. Tried painkillers heat and ice. If I lift my arms gently it pains in the middle.
Old 11th January 2014, 01:06 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

If you can barely hold a glass of water then you need to see a doctor Ange.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 16th January 2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeceilien View Post
Hi all,

Been doing well until recently. My shoulders have gradually ovwr the past month become more painful and now I I can't lift them very much. Has this happened to anyone. Could it have anything to do withscrews? I can barely hold a glass of water.

Ange

Hi Ange,

I was thinking of you and wondering if you've had a chance to go to the doctor to find out what the issue is with your shoulders. Hope you are feeling better!!!

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:50 PM
Adult

Just wondering if anyone has heard from Ange and whether she is ok? xx
Old 23rd April 2014, 04:07 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

No now you mention it, I haven't seen anything from her for a while. She last checked in on 28th March but didn't post.

Hope you're OK Ange
Old 24th April 2014, 09:18 AM

Hi guys,

I got logged out and completely forgot my password. Remembered it today!

The shoulder thing has been coming and going. My fiance said my left shoulder is "sticking out" more than my right. But then it sometimes looks ok then it bothers him. It gets quite painful with my long days at work. Lying down helps abit.

I haven't had a follow up appointment since October last year. I'm actually not sure what to tell the doctor.

Otherwise I'm much better than before surgery.

Thanks guys,

Ange