Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 23rd April 2014, 11:04 PM

Default Tanning beds/sun exposure after surgery

Just curious if anyone uses tanning beds since their surgery and how it effects their scar? I'm 19 weeks post op so almost 5 months and I've been considering using a tanning bed. I'm worried about the scar turning dark. If anyone tans in the sun I'd like to hear from you too. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:15 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Tanning beds/sun exposure after surgery

Your scarred skin is very sensitive so it is always very advisable to use a strong sun block along it, in the sun and especially on sunbeds.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 24th April 2014, 12:02 AM

I do plan on using sun block but I'm not sure if 5 months post op is too early to be exposing it to the sun/ tanning bed rays. Should I wait longer? When do other people start going out in the sun with sun block on?
Old 24th April 2014, 06:41 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

How well are you healed? Any scabby bits should be long gone by now. I can't advise on tanning beds as I feel they can be dangerous, but with care and a good string sunblock you should be fine to go in the sun.

Have you considered spray tans rather than tanning beds? They're much safer, can look awesome and can cover your scars too though you do need to use sun creams all over and sun block on your scars when you go out in the sun.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.