Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 15th April 2014, 09:54 PM

Default Post Surgery Advice

Hi
I had correction surgery on 22 jan. I was initially taking 300 mg gabapentin three times daily for the pain. Since about four weeks post op I've had horrendous nerve pain like burning stabbing in the left side of my thoracic area. My rib hump was on the right. I didn't need costoplasty. My fusion is T5-L1 so I'm still quite flexy in lower back. Initially I had very little use in my arms because of the pain it caused in the left side of my back. I had my six week check and was told the pain is normal because of muscle disruption. I've had my gabapentin upped to 400mg three times daily. I also take regular paracetamol and codeine but it doesn't really touch the pain. My question is have you all had this pain and how long did it last?? What meds helped?? Gp also said my muscles and full of knots and has referred me for Physio. Would be interested to hear any similar experiences.
Ps I still love my straight back and don't regret the surgery for a minute.😃
Old 16th April 2014, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Post Surgery Advice

Hi Teri. When I was released from hospital I was on Tylenol 3's. I took 2 every 4 hours for the first couple weeks and slowly began reducing them after that. By about 2 months post op my pain was under control and I was down to taking them only once or twice a day. 3 months post op I stopped taking any pain meds. I do light daily stretches and work out with 1-2 pound weights. What's your daily activities like? Any chance you are over working your body and not resting enough?
Old 16th April 2014, 09:26 PM

Hi Shannon
Quite possibly. Anything I do with my arms brings on the nerve and muscle pain. Hoping the Physio helps and some massage
Old 16th April 2014, 10:43 PM
SSO Groupie!

I take Lyrica for nerve pain x
Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!
Old 17th April 2014, 02:27 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Ali View Post
I take Lyrica for nerve pain x
I've been taking Lyrica for about 5 years now and i find it to be very effective.
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 18th April 2014, 03:17 PM

Hi Teri,

I had the same medicine as you for almost 3 months!everyone is different so I wouldn't worry that you still need this much medication