Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 15th April 2014, 04:20 PM

Default Hey all :)

So I have found out that I do NOT need to get surgery to get rid of the pain caused by my curvature because my curvature isn't causing the pain at all it turns out that I don't just have scoliosis I also have degenerative discs in my lower spine something my own docs missed I am just wondering is this related to scoliosis or a separate problem altogether?
Old 15th April 2014, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Hey all :)

Great to hear you dont need the surgery. From what i have seen on here, it isnt unusual for people who have scoliosis to have degenerative discs. And also i think its seperate to scoliosis and is just side condition from it. But dont take my word for it, because im just going off things ive seen and remember others being told.
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 16th April 2014, 04:40 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthom View Post
I am just wondering is this related to scoliosis or a separate problem altogether?
I wonder about this since I have had 6 verified disc herniationís in my life. Lumbar and Cervical. The 4 in my lumbar were in a 70 degree curve, and the 2 in my neck with no scoliosis curve.

Discs do heal.....or retract if thatís what they do. I know with the extreme pain that this offers that it can seem fruitless, but its true.

Hot water offers the fastest relief. (Preferably in a deep tub) De stress yourself, go into a Zen mode. Stress contributes and had no value.

NSAIDís help quite a bit. Celebrex, Diclofenac....etc..

Oral steroids.....Methyl pack

Steroid shots for when it gets really bad.

Ocean swimming.....(Worked for me) (Deweighting and exercise)

Its good news that you can avoid surgery.....

Hang in there

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008
Old 18th April 2014, 12:29 AM

Thank you guys im sorry to hear about your discs aswell as your scoliosis
Ed I have had two steroid shots on the same day and they did not work and was in a lot of pain
For two weeks after I'm sure in will sort it out iv been doing aqua aerobics so hopefully that will help in time