Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 2nd February 2014, 08:30 PM

Post I have a serious question, somebody help ! Brace or without Brace ?

Hi everyone, I just signed up to this site - I'm new here.

I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with postural kyphosis when I was 20. We don't actually have great doctors around where I live, they're not knowledgeable. I'm very skeptical about a lot of things. I'm always in doubt. The things is I knew that there was a problem with my back ever since I was younger 13-14. But my parents always were oblivious about it. They always said to me " Your spine will get straight as you grow". I knew that they were wrong.

Anyways, considering that I'm still young and I do sports, I got muscles everywhere, my curvature is around 65 degrees. They say the brace won't straighten your spine when the growth is finished, which I don't believe on that theory, I'm still young, CMON ?!?!

I believe the brace should work on my age, if I hold it daily for 8 hours. Doing it that way for 3 months, it should correct it around 5 or 6 degrees lower.

I don't have a brace, never used one. I'm planning to buy it if I find the real answers and support.

My question is > Has anybody out there tried the brace on my same age as me, if yes, then did it help, could it straighten it ?

What do you guys think? Should I buy the brace and try it the way I'm saying? I believe that it will work. Otherwise, I don't need no surgery and nobody really wants titanium instrumentation inside their bodies, I would only if I had no other choice. Also, they should invent a new surgical spine operacion, a better one. This one is very risky and not good at all.
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:42 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: I have a serious question, somebody help ! Brace or without Brace ?

Hi Innocent,

I'm afraid that medical evidence pretty much agrees that bracing cannot permanently correct a spinal curve once growth is complete. In fact, there is little evidence to support the idea that bracing can permanently correct a curve in an immature spine either. Most braces aim to simply hold an existing curve and prevent it from getting worse, and even this usually requires wearing the brace for much longer than 8 hours a day (16-23 hours is the norm).

The good news is that you are young and fit and it sounds as though you enjoy exercise there are certain types of physiotherapies that are reported to help with the cosmetic appearance of spinal curves - you might like to learn more about these. Schroth therapy is the best-known of these - you can learn about the exercises on the web, or find a registered Schroth therapist using the stickied post at the top of the nonsurgical forum. There are also special Yoga for Scoliosis instruction DVDs available (look for the name Elise Browning-Miller), and The Alexander Technique can be very beneficial for postural problems.

If your curve is truly postural kyphosis then exercises could potentially help a great deal, as the curve should resolve completely if you consciously hold your spine straight. If your curve is structural then things will be more difficult. The most common type of kyphosis, Scheuermann's Kyphosis, is caused by the vertebrae being wedge-shaped and exercise has limited potential for correcting this because there is little you can do to change the shape of the bones.

If you do decide to try a brace, remember to keep exercising as much as possible because bracing can cause the muscles to weaken if you aren't careful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! We will support you whatever your choice.

Ton xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Hi Innocent,

I'm afraid that medical evidence pretty much agrees that bracing cannot permanently correct a spinal curve once growth is complete. In fact, there is little evidence to support the idea that bracing can permanently correct a curve in an immature spine either. Most braces aim to simply hold an existing curve and prevent it from getting worse, and even this usually requires wearing the brace for much longer than 8 hours a day (16-23 hours is the norm).

The good news is that you are young and fit and it sounds as though you enjoy exercise there are certain types of physiotherapies that are reported to help with the cosmetic appearance of spinal curves - you might like to learn more about these. Schroth therapy is the best-known of these - you can learn about the exercises on the web, or find a registered Schroth therapist using the stickied post at the top of the nonsurgical forum. There are also special Yoga for Scoliosis instruction DVDs available (look for the name Elise Browning-Miller), and The Alexander Technique can be very beneficial for postural problems.

If your curve is truly postural kyphosis then exercises could potentially help a great deal, as the curve should resolve completely if you consciously hold your spine straight. If your curve is structural then things will be more difficult. The most common type of kyphosis, Scheuermann's Kyphosis, is caused by the vertebrae being wedge-shaped and exercise has limited potential for correcting this because there is little you can do to change the shape of the bones.

If you do decide to try a brace, remember to keep exercising as much as possible because bracing can cause the muscles to weaken if you aren't careful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! We will support you whatever your choice.

Ton xx

Thanks a lot Ton. Now I see that my thread maybe should have been created on that non-surgery section. My bad. You made me think and I don't really know what choice to make, I need final answers, for exp, if you were in my position, if you were me, what would you do? Would you take a brace or no? Or stick with only exercising? I need your honest opinions It would help me make a better desicion.

The process of growth stops at 20 years old right? What if someone keeps growing 2 or 3 more years? Hmm. Anyways I actually need to learn new exercises for kyphosis, I will check out those names you mentioned above. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm not quiet sure if I have postural or scheuremenns kyphosis. How would I know that? From the x-ray pic? Is sheuremenns kyphosis inherited with genes? My parent have great posture :/.
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:58 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi, I will move this thread to the Nonsurgical room for you

Some types of spinal deformities sometimes do run in families (Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis does so more often than other types) but not every case does. Scheuermann's Kyphosis can be diagnosed from an x-ray, yes - the wedge-shaped vertebrae causing the spine to arch can be seen on a lateral film. Otherwise you can tell whether a curve is purely postural or not by seeing if you can completely remove the kyphosis by forcing yourself to stand up as straight as you can. For those of us with structural curves, it isn't possible to completely straighten our spines.

I think it is very unlikely that you still have spinal growth remaining at 20, although some males may still have a little growth remaining at this age. In your position I would try exercises rather than a brace. Even structural curves have a small postural element to them so it's often possible to get a bit of correction with targetted exercises.

In order to get a good brace you would need to get one prescribed for you by a doctor and have it fitted by an orthotist, and this can be very expensive. Be wary if you do get a brace as there are a lot of untested designs around. Some braces will give an encouraging in-brace correction but there is no guarantee that the spine will remain corrected once you stop wearing it.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:56 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Hi there

I don't really add anything to add to Toni's excellent advice but I jut wanted to welcome you to the site
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:20 PM

Exclamation Re: I have a serious question, somebody help ! Brace or without Brace ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Hi, I will move this thread to the Nonsurgical room for you

Some types of spinal deformities sometimes do run in families (Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis does so more often than other types) but not every case does. Scheuermann's Kyphosis can be diagnosed from an x-ray, yes - the wedge-shaped vertebrae causing the spine to arch can be seen on a lateral film. Otherwise you can tell whether a curve is purely postural or not by seeing if you can completely remove the kyphosis by forcing yourself to stand up as straight as you can. For those of us with structural curves, it isn't possible to completely straighten our spines.

I think it is very unlikely that you still have spinal growth remaining at 20, although some males may still have a little growth remaining at this age. In your position I would try exercises rather than a brace. Even structural curves have a small postural element to them so it's often possible to get a bit of correction with targetted exercises.

In order to get a good brace you would need to get one prescribed for you by a doctor and have it fitted by an orthotist, and this can be very expensive. Be wary if you do get a brace as there are a lot of untested designs around. Some braces will give an encouraging in-brace correction but there is no guarantee that the spine will remain corrected once you stop wearing it.
Thanks Toni, your knowledge has really helped me. I believe I got postural kyphosis since I can really manage to straighten my spine by forcing myself to stay as straight as I can. But I'm not 100% sure about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
Hi there

I don't really add anything to add to Toni's excellent advice but I jut wanted to welcome you to the site

Thanks Gilly !!
Old 22nd February 2014, 05:14 PM

same issue here....suffering frm lumber scoliosis 38 deg at 23 years of age