Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 30th August 2013, 02:43 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlb10 View Post
There's no reason why anyone should have to give up something that's really important to them - there's always a way around.
Well said!
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:13 AM
T Jr :-)

Changed four bins at once today - they probably weigh like 20kg each (the bags I was lifting) maybe one or two weighed 10 and I had to change them whilst bending then carry all four about 100-150yds to the big bins. Considering the back surgery my pain wasn't too bad and I have done them loads of times before but never all four at once!
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).
Old 19th November 2013, 05:15 PM
OrangeD

Surgery 2005. fused from T3-L3

I am still working as Cabin Crew. I have returned to dance and am pretty proficient with my "hip hop" which is great for flexibility.

Now training for Tough Mudder! http://toughmudder.co.uk/about/

Its taken a while to get to Tough Mudder level but with grit and determination, anything is possible!
Old 4th December 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraNicole1992 View Post
My age: 19 had surgery when i was 18
My fusion length: Posterior Fusion T4-L2
My instrumentation: Fugey rods, screws, hooks and wires
Things I enjoy doing: I love swimming, doing sports, lifting wights,
Lifting weights..... I'm worried about lifting post op!
Old 20th January 2014, 11:04 PM

Hi!

I know I posted something sounding worried, but there are things I can do!

A lot of people ask me about Figure skating (if you want a more personal reply, just ask!) but a year on from my surgery in October 2012, I was allowed back onto the ice and I'm just building back my strength up now, so there is hope!

obviously there's things that cant be done (I've found this is dance as well) but theres usually a way to cheat it! - Unless its a roly poly of course :P

Em x
Old 21st January 2014, 12:12 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

That is very cool Em we had a member a few years back who took up figure-skating post-op and she progressed really well with it, so there's definitely hope there!
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 16th May 2014, 12:17 PM
SSO Triathlete

Things I have done/started since my last post on this thread:

Heaviest squats and deadlifts yet
3 Body Pump classes a week plus 90 minute of dynamic yoga
Roller derby!
Old 27th May 2014, 09:33 PM
T Jr :-)

Learning to drive! (okay so not new compared to everyone else but I'm liking it)
Working in food service, so on the butchers, fishmongers and delicatessen counters at work which involves lots of bending at the hips and waist to levels below the bending pivot and picking up one or two kilo objects on deli; using the bone sliver/crusher thing on the butchers counter and slicing through bones on fish with my own body weight as the force.

I also take my counter goods off on deli and put them back on to clean the base etc so cumulatively moving at least 45kg bent over. It's hard work and I might be moving sections to something less strenuous but I CAN do it - it just hurts a bit.

Sitting my current exams which are like two hours long with no pillow or tablets is also a new one

I have a three hour exam in two weeks - wish me luck! Think I will use my rest breaks then
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).
Old 31st May 2014, 07:57 PM
OrangeD

Default Running Tough Mudder for QMC Nottingham!

Hi to those of you who remember me. I had successful Scheurermans Kyphosis surgery in 2005 and spent many a day on this forum being supported by some amazing people.

I am about to try and give something back to the amazing Spinal Unit @ QMC, Nottingham. On June 14th I will be running Tough Mudder which is an extreme event involving a half marathon through extreme terrain and obstacles.

If anyone has a pound or two and would like to donate to my cause I would be more than grateful. They built me the best spine ever and now it's my turn to repay them.

http://www.justgiving.com/john-rooney4

Remember...anything is possible
Old 7th June 2014, 12:03 PM
RedL

You can cycle 62miles (100km) from Windsor Racecourse to the centre of London and back again, with a fused spine!
such an achievement for me, and all for womens cancer charities. the legs have just about recovered as I did it last saturday! haha, hope you are all well
Old 8th June 2014, 09:54 PM
ellaketurah

I am over a year post op and can do the splits and do a bridge
Old 17th June 2014, 11:17 AM
OrangeD

Tough Mudder completed at the weekend. 539 raised for QMC Spinal Unit in the process!
Old 17th June 2014, 01:03 PM

Completely AMAZING!!! Well done John, that's a fantastic achievement for anyone, never mind someone with a long spinal fusion

It's also brilliant to hear about how flexible you still are Ella, and Dancerr's cycling and fundraising achievements!!
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 20th June 2014, 01:22 PM

That is so encouraging Ella, are you able to rotate? Hips staying forward and shoulders rotating, just trying to set my daughter's expectations x
Old 20th June 2014, 01:31 PM

I can do that even with a T1-L4 fusion Andrea