Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 9th January 2014, 02:54 PM
Blue

Default Re: Randomized study on bracing shows effectiveness

Thanks, Toni. I knew some of the mutations and transformations of CLEAR, but I'd missed a bunch.

I've seen (read) Stizel and Morningstar in discussion (about bracing) and I'd been impressed with Morningstar's scientific demeanor - he seemed genuinely interested in understanding. So, I'd held out a little more hope for his ideas. But, so far, that hope has not been fruitful

I do wish the ratio of nonsense to noise in the conservative treatment realm of scoliosis would shift a little. It casts a black cloud over everyone interested in this area. I find I'm forever saying "Yes, I understand that *most* of them are snake oil salesmen, but *this* guy/gal/team appear to be honest."

We really deserve a little more honesty and a little less snake oil, IMO. I wish we still had someone with the stature of Dr. Mehta in this area. I assume that will be a long time in coming round again.
Old 9th January 2014, 03:28 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Randomized study on bracing shows effectiveness

I totally agree. It is a terrible shame that a small handful of nonsurgical practitioners and clinic owners touting unproven, costly treatments and deliberately scaring patients about surgery should give the nonsurgical sector such a dreadful reputation.

I believe that the younger generations of consultant spinal surgeons will gradually become more open to nonsurgical methods though, as the genuine nonsurgical practitioners such as the ISICO guys will hopefully come up with results that show their methods have some merit. For example, I think our UK consultants are beginning to take note of the Schroth Method, at least as something patients can try before committing to fusion surgery or as a method of pain relief. Sadly in the world of scoliosis there are too many nonsurgical practitioners whose main motivation appears to be making money, but there are (eg) new Schroth-certified physios popping up every now and again, and the more choice the patient has the better. I am satisfied that there are now several independent Schroth-certified practitioners here in the UK who seem genuinely motivated by the wish to help patients.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.