Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room

Notices

Old 2nd September 2013, 04:19 PM

Unhappy Another revision surgery September 5

Hi everyone,
I have never posted here but have wanted to for so long; I finally did. I had an additional surgery to put more hardware in on May 9, of this year. At my 3 month post-op check-up, my Dr. and I agreed that with my new rods (fused T11-S1), the top of them are sticking up and producing a hump on my back. He said he could clip those and it will fix itself. Okay, no problem. Surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, September 5.

Well, he calls me this past Thursday and tells me he's received my CT scan and has read it; I have a compression fracture at the top of my new rods; below my "old Harrington rods (fused T2-T7 in '86) in the non-hardware area. So, the only area of my spine that doesn't have any hardware is from T8-T11. Apparently it was too much pressure and with being diagnosed with Osteopenia 3 years ago, it has fractured.

Now he's going to have to add more hardware; so basically I'm thinking I'm now going to have hardware all the way down. I guess it's just a little more for me to comprehend right now.

I don't know what exactly I should or should not be doing with a compression fracture and the hardware. I have to admit, once he told me this, I was pretty much numb and only heard bits and pieces.

There's a lot more to my story regarding my May 9 surgery; when it was all said and done, I had went through 11 1/2 hours of surgery, then developed a blood clot in my left lung, then I developed pneumonia and then had to be intubated for a few days.

I spent 3 weeks in the hospital; all of which in ICU and then followed that with 10 days at in-patient rehab for occupational therapy. I have been in physical therapy since before my surgery.

I'm starting to feel this is too much for me to handle; I have a husband a son who saw me the last surgery and he is petrified about this one. I'm trying to remain calm for him and try to get everything out before he gets home from school. My husband has had to take over so much more stuff around the house and since we live in the country, that means he's had to take over the yard work which I used to do and loved.

I apologize for venting so much on my first post; I just had to get it out...

Christyne
Old 3rd September 2013, 07:23 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Another revision surgery September 5

Oh my goodness, that's the day after tomorrow
I'm glad you've posted in time for us to wish you the best of luck, it sounds as though you could do with plenty of that after all you've been through

You sound like a very complicated case, no wonder you are anxious about this next surgery. Hopefully it will be much shorter and less traumatic than the one you went through in May.

Sending loads of good vibes, oh and welcome to the site!

ETA: I've copied your post into the General Discussions room so that hopefully more people will see it and wish you luck
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Another revision surgery September 5

Best of luck to you, Christyne with your upcoming surgery. I'm very sorry you have to go through this revision. I hope you have a very speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how things go.

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.