Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 14th April 2012, 08:23 PM
SSO Scavenger Queen

Send a message via MSN to madmclw
Default Re: Women: What age did you stop growing taller and stop progressing?

Baha oh Tiff, you're gonna be a giant if they ever straighten those curves of yours!

I wish I had any idea how much I grew/would have grown etcetc. My curve appeared and worsened with incredible speed, and was at 90 degrees in what can not have been more than two years. Because my curve was so big no-one ever stopped to consider Risser scales or how much growth I might have left, because I was losing height so damn fast! This all happened when I was 13/14 (I was diagnosed when I turned 14 by which time the curve must have already been heading for 70 if it wasn't already) so I guess I never really got a chance to see what a proper growth spurt looked like!*

I'm sure I must still have about an inch worth of height left in my (now fused) spine. Standing, I am still about 2cm taller than my younger sister (who is 16), but we have this picture of the 4 of us siblings sitting on log that we take in the same place whenever we visit a certain park. I'm the second eldest, my sister is second youngest and there is a brother either side of us...up until the most recent photo, the heights worked down in a line from tallest/oldest to shortest/youngest. Now my sister is taller than me in this photo, meaning my extra height that makes me taller than her must be in my legs, which must be out of proportion in some height to my torso!

*until that is I grew 3 inches in a 7 hour operation
Diagnosed with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis on the 10th April 2007. Seen at the Child Development Centre at the Medway Maritime Hospital on 18th June then referred to Mr Noordeen at the RNOH Stanmore. Seen by consultant on the 13th July x-rays revealed 77o thoracolumbar curve and severe rotation. Surgery planned in 6 months had surgery on 26th November 2007. Admitted for pre-op on 23rd stayed in over the weekend. Curve then 90o, suffering from pain and reduced lung function. Moved from HDU to ward after 24hrs, then into isolation for suspected infection after 3 days. Symptoms turned out to be a bad reaction to antibiotics.
Old 14th April 2012, 08:29 PM
T Jr :-)

Haha I know Maddy! My teacher is about 5'3? And when I saw her in flat and I was, I was like, I didn't realise you're so short! And then my old head of year walked past and he's about 5'3/5'4 and he was like good things come in small packages and then they were joking that if I'm ever straightened I'll be a tower and they would have to start asking me how the weather is up there! Hahaha
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).
Old 14th April 2012, 08:32 PM
SSO Scavenger Queen

Let's not be rude now, I've 5'3 POST op

...meaning I was only just 5 foot pre-op!!!
Diagnosed with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis on the 10th April 2007. Seen at the Child Development Centre at the Medway Maritime Hospital on 18th June then referred to Mr Noordeen at the RNOH Stanmore. Seen by consultant on the 13th July x-rays revealed 77o thoracolumbar curve and severe rotation. Surgery planned in 6 months had surgery on 26th November 2007. Admitted for pre-op on 23rd stayed in over the weekend. Curve then 90o, suffering from pain and reduced lung function. Moved from HDU to ward after 24hrs, then into isolation for suspected infection after 3 days. Symptoms turned out to be a bad reaction to antibiotics.
Old 14th April 2012, 08:37 PM

sozza!

I'm so used to us wonkies being tall, I mean Bronte, Jules, Titch and Ellena are all very tall so I just presumed. Oops.
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).
Old 14th April 2012, 08:40 PM
SSO Scavenger Queen

Ah, it would be nice

...I'm going to go hang with Gilly in the shorties club ;D
Old 14th April 2012, 08:42 PM

Woo shorties and tallies
Old 14th April 2012, 09:45 PM
RedL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany.m View Post
I was measured at the GP yesterday and read 165cm which is correct as to what I thought before. Exactly 5'6
That's brilliant news Tiff!

5'3'' is short? 5'3'' is still within 1 standard deviation! But I can see it's all relative
The smallest girl in my homeroom (a Vietnamese) is almost 1 year older than me yet only 4'9'' and 35kg... So adorable!

Yes, Tiff, good things do come in small packages Even at 14-15, I still get undercharged at buffets and entertainment venues... less money spent = more money stashed in packages.
Old 14th April 2012, 11:03 PM

Haha, when you're 5'6, 5'3 is a bit short, although it's more in comparison to her normal height (which to me is in heels) and aww 35kg? I'm 64 I'd crush her!!!

And well... Excellent things come in big packages (moi!)
Old 15th April 2012, 01:54 AM
OrangeL

I was 5ft 3" when i stopped growing early in my teens.I got measured last may (2011) and i was 5ft 0.8" meaning ive lost over 2" in height They measured my arm span at almost 5ft 7"... I was originally robbed of 4 inches and that became 6"...i know i have shrunk more since too....but i'm too worried to get measured again!
Old 15th April 2012, 06:05 PM
SSO Problem Child =)

I am 5'5" and a 1/2"!! I always say don't forget the 1/2! every little bit counts! haha I am the shorty in the family. my legs are the same length, my legs are really long, they aren't much shorter than my 6'2" fiances lol but my torso due to my spine is short. lol My mom is 2 inches taller than me, and my dad and brother is 3 inches taller... haha and my brother isn't done growing. haha

I was done growing at 14 and I was 5'4" . but then I grew and inch and a half in surgery so that helped me out. since my spine is curving more again I think I am back down to 5'5" maybe a touch less.
Old 15th April 2012, 07:13 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

RODS!!! Where the heck have you been hiding?? Great to see you back on line, how are you doing?
Old 15th April 2012, 09:24 PM
OrangeL

I stopped growing aged 20 according to x-ray of my back,but because of my double curvature i am ony 4 ft 11" yes i know a real shortie!

but as i was fused into a curved shape i will always be this height,but i was told if this hadnt happened to my back i would have been 5ft 5" at age 14 and of course would have had more growth until aged 20,

ah well i will make do,but it would have been nice to be taller even if only to reach the top shelf in the supermarket!
Old 16th April 2012, 05:11 PM
SSO Problem Child =)

Hey Gilly!! I have been trying to stop by more often! Miss you guys! I wrote a thread with an update.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:50 PM
RedL

15/05/2012: 160cm

My brother & I are measuring each other's heights once a month.
Old 11th June 2012, 06:52 AM
Horse Lover <3

I was told I didn't need to wear my brace after age 14, my curve progressed a little from 14 to 16 yrs. I have not had a X-ray in over 2 yrs so I'm nervous for the results I feel like my curves are worse pain wise, looks, etc also I have a left thoracic curve which Ive heard progresses more? What do you guys think? I have nerve pain now too so I'm anxious, I don't think low curves would cause that?

"struggles make you stronger and changes make you wise."