Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Infantile, Juvenile and Congenital Scoliosis Room

Notices

Old 23rd February 2011, 02:30 PM
BlueL

Default Re: Insertion of growth rod

Dear Stana,

There was not really a programme of aftercare from GOSH. The physios there were great and made sure that Oliver could walk a little in the brace before leaving and helping him to get in and out of bed. Lisa was great and arrange the brace and made sure it was correct before we left. The OT came round and showed us how to use the bath board and walk up and down the stairs. We were in GOS for nine days but he did not get out of bed until day five. The muscles in Olivers legs were very weak so he was not able to walk very well. Mr Tcuker thought that Oliver might have to be in a spicer brace which means that the legs are fixed, this would have meant that Oliver would have been bed bound for the full three months recovery so I was keen to have his bedroom ready for this. Tucker would not decide until during surgery and as we were due to leave GOS on 23rd December it was important we were ready for any outcome. In the end he was lucky just to have the spinal brace so he was able to use his legs. The equipment we had at home was a medical bed that could be lowed and raised, a bath board, wheelchair (until Oliver could walk better) a brace of course, a perching stool for the table, a special toilet which meant he didnt sit too low, a hospital table and a grabber to pick things up. The community OT (through children services) arranged for this to be delivered just before we came back from GOS. We did have the surgery privately and I know this makes a difference to what GOS will offer afterwards (very little). As this is our second time in just under two years I was a bit more savvy on what I knew I would need in place. As I said, the LEA sorted the home school and there should be someone working during half term. Oliver had a spinal fusion in August 08 but the metal work broke and he has been in a lot of pain for the last eighteen months whilst they did many scans and bones scans deciding on the next course of action and his posture is very poor which has a huge impact on his life. The second surgery in December seems to be going well but this will not be confirmed until he has his CT scan at the end of May. I wish I had found Tucker the first time around as I have only heard great things about him. Panos (the greek chap) was lovely while we were is GOS. If you have good GP then I would suggest asking them to make arrangements as well to take some of the stress away from you. The first part after surgery is tough and I understand that Jessie has already had a very hard time (and you guys) but it does get easier week by week. We are now 10 weeks today post op and most of the equipment is out of the house, life is slowly returning to normal and Oliver is due to return to school part time next week. He has been at home for the last four months so this is a big step. We know it will be a year before life is totally normal but I am feeling positive. Deborah x
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:35 PM
BlueL

In regards to hydro, the local physio arranged this. They have an agreement with the local hospice to rent the pool once a week for the children needing it in the community. There are not many hydro pools around now as funding is so low. My GP refered us to the community physio and OT department at our local hospital. It might be worth calling your local hospital and asking them about the community children services. I have learn that nothing happens unless you ask for it, it is a shame that we have to push for these services but they are out there and you and Jessie should have the use of them but it does take some investigations to what is there. First port of call, GP then local services.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:00 PM
Stana and Jessie

Hi,

I spoken to LEA today and they told me that GOSH should have written a referral for Jessie's home tuition but it seems that they didn't so she wrote an email to the Islington Home School team about Jessie today but she thinks that these things take a long time and Jessie might not get help in time.

I will definitely do the home education with Jessie and I am actually looking forward to it now as I always did some work with her at home - I just need to learn to be more patient with her and not expect her to know it all straight away ;-) I actually think she might even learn more with me than at school

I will speak to Jessie's school as they actually have the hydrotherapy pool as they have 80 special needs children as they are 3 school together - primary, early learning and special needs children.

Jessie seems pretty good at the moment - she walk around the house like nothing happened ;-)

Our children are simply amazing, aren't they?

Thank you for all your inputs.

Stana x
Old 24th February 2011, 09:45 AM
BlueL

They are completely amazing, I am so proud of Oliver and how he has dealt with everything. Poor show of the LEA and they should have bank of school teachers ready to step in for the many number of children that are unable to attend school. If you are going to home school yourself then have a meeting with Jessie's teacher next week. Ollie's maths teacher set his maths work for the week so it was all in line with the rest of the class (same for literacy). I used to collect it on a monday and he came in to say hello to his friends and then take it back the following week and collected more. I have to say that he has improved greatly on the one-to-one work. We also laid in bed and read lots of books which has really improved his reading and enjoyment of it. As I said, the BBC websites do some great key stage work which is also fun. The typing practice is great!. Lots of free museums for when Jessie is feeling up to it, and being in term time should be nice and quiet. I also sent an email to all my friends asking for recommendations of places to visit which was great. Stana dont put lots of pressure on yourself, Jessie will catch up if she misses anything. Also when you condense the amount of actual work they do at school then an hour a day is about right, Ollies teacher told me this! Enjoy the time off together, I really have and feel quite sad about returning to work and Ollie returning to school but glad we are on to the next stage. The time off together had been wonderful and I have loved learning with him and reading books and just standing still for five mintues as we are normally rushing around everywhere, it does go by very quickly. GOS did not do any refereal for us but Ollies school was very good and the SENCO lady there arranged all that I needed. I called the community OT last week and asked her to visit Ollie at school next week to make sure that he is supported back in the classroom and able to get around the school safely. Make sure you get some rest as you also need to recover from the last few weeks, stress takes its toll on us parents. Please let me know if I can help in anyway with anything. The support on SS is amazing and been wonderful for me and Ollie receiving support from other parents in the same postion. Wishing you all the best. x
Old 24th February 2011, 10:19 AM
Maddy's Mum

Great news that Jessie is doing so well.
Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:11 AM
Stana and Jessie

Hi Deborah,

Jessie was diagnosed with cancer in December 2005 and ever since I feel like I am constantly searching for people to help, calling everyone, doing it all myself as I agree with you if you don't ask you don't get it. I kind of got used to it over time but obviously the post spinal surgery issues are new to me so again I am learning as how to help her the best.

I actually believe that Jessie will be ready to go to school earlier than in 6 weeks but it all really depends on the doctors giving us all clear to go.

Thank you for you help xxx
Old 24th February 2011, 06:07 PM
Maddy's Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stana29 View Post
I actually believe that Jessie will be ready to go to school earlier than in 6 weeks but it all really depends on the doctors giving us all clear to go.
When Maddy had her growth rod put in Mr Tucker came to see us in the Recovery Room and said that for 6 weeks she has to take it extra carefully. So I'm guessing there is something about the 6 weeks and things settling or sticking, etc. So even if she seems ready earlier if they say 6 weeks I guess it's for a reason.
Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:56 AM
Maddy's Mum

Here is a small sized growth rod. Maddy's was bigger than this.