Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12th June 2010, 11:26 PM

Default Wry Neck

Hi All,

I have just been diagnosed with a wry neck and have lots of pain all the way down my left arm.

My scoliosis is thoracic and measures 35 degrees but could have increased since diagnosis in 2008.

Does anybody know if these two conditions are related?

Look forward to your help.

Martin
Old 12th June 2010, 11:34 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Wry Neck

Hi Martin,

They can be related, yes. There are various ways that scoliosis can cause torticollis (wry neck). It cam be caused by having a very high thoracic/cervical scoliosis curve. Also, as I've just mentioned on an earlier thread, any form of sagittal imbalance (where your head is too far forward, or too far back) means that your shoulder and neck muscles take on too much of the weight of your head. This can cause them to go into spasm, and that can cause a wry neck too.

Another possible cause is a pinched nerve in the neck, again causing pain and imbalance. The fact that you have nerve pains going into your arm suggest that this may well be a factor in your case.

Hope you can find something that helps ease it

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Martin,

I am ashamed to admit I had no idea what wry neck was until I did a wikipedia search and saw it was another name for Torticollis, which I have heard of!

I cannot really answer your questions as I myself have a very similar question in another post and in my case I wondered if my kyphosis was getting worse.

Can you take any ibuprofen? My mum used to get torticollis badly and would find it helpful for the pain/inflammation. Also she would have a hot water bottle (the flexible kind) and wrap that around her neck and shoulders.

I hope the pain goes soon.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:09 AM

Hi Again.

As far as meds are concerned i'm on MST 15mg twice a day and Tramadol 100mg three times a day for any breakthrough pain.

Unfortunately I cant tolerate Paracetamol, I'm not allowed Diclofenec.

Because I was immobile for nearly two years after my T10 fracture my Diabetes went from type 2 to type 1 and I developed Diabetic Neuropathy so I have to take Gabapentin 1200mg a day.

The doctor that came out to see me after seeing what I am shoving down me advised not to take any more meds and hope the neck business will go away on it's own.

Sadly it's getting worse ( I cant lift a mug of tea with my left hand it's so bad).

I suppose it means another trip to the doctor to get a referral to radiology again.

Any suggestions welcome

Martin
Old 13th June 2010, 12:19 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Have you tried using a TENS machine?
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:28 AM
Marvellous Moderator

I have a friend who developed torticollis, rather suddenly if I remember rightly. I think she was prescribed Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxant, although i'm not sure what that was. Could you perhaps ask your GP for something similar?
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year
Old 13th June 2010, 12:50 AM
SSO Groupie!

Just wanted to say hi and

I get neck problems too and it's no fun! I hope it eases off soon.
Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!
Old 13th June 2010, 05:00 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

My neck is a total mess. The only thing that gets it back to not painful is taking a muscle relaxant. I'm not big on them since they make me sleepy but ometimes I take a short dose and heat wrap or rain shower on warm. Welcome to ccrazy!
I am 61 years old and the resident SSO fossil. I live in Oklahoma,USA with my husband Allen. We have one daughter Jae and she has three kids.Our grandkids are: Aidan is8. He's the one pictured in my current avatar. Jenna Jean is 7 and Ryan Allen is just 4 It's full time chaos here! I was diagnosed in 1965 at 14 years with Kyphoscoliosis and 2 curves measuring 68 and 63 degrees. My last measurements were in 2004 at 155, 88 and 55+ degrees. I have never had surgery or bracing so I now am on full time oxygen and use a Non Invasive Ventilator at night. at night.
Old 13th June 2010, 11:10 AM
Mod with a rod (or two)

welcome to our wonky world, sorry to read the reasons why you have had to find us but know you have i hope we can help and support you on your journey

Mark

Mark's a groovin an a movin
Old 13th June 2010, 11:42 AM
OrangeL

Hi and
I have a thoracic curve and get a lot of neck and arm pain.
Sometimes I wake with dreadful trapped shoulder pain-I feel its all related.
I take Lyrica for the nerve pains in my arms and they help a lot.When my necks bad I use a heat wrap a lot and rest it.
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 13th June 2010, 02:04 PM
OrangeD

snap i get down the right arm

have a thoradic curviture
Old 14th June 2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Hi and wellcome to SSO, I get a lot of very bad neck pain and awful cervical headaches. I have been using a Inter X 1000 for the pain and it's great this is the link to it.

http://www.nrg-unlimited.com/interx_1000.php