Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:44 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Smile Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Hi everyone,

Very often, we have people coming to SSO who are worried that their life will be terribly limited after they've had a spinal fusion. I know we have a lot of very fit and active people here on the forum, so I thought I'd start this thread to show what people CAN do despite having fused spines Please join in if you'd like to! All info is optional, so it doesn't matter if you don't want to put your age or if you don't know the sort of metalwork you have. Also, please don't use this thread to post what you cannot do; this thread is to focus solely on what you can do.

I'll start!

My age: 34
My fusion length: T1-L4
My instrumentation: Harrington Rod T1-L3, Zielke L1-L3, Pedicle screws L3-L4
Things I enjoy doing: long distance cycle rides, climbing mountains, scrambling around under hedges and climbing over gates and stiles looking for geocaches. In my early 20s I went clubbing three times a week. I can also do sit-ups despite my long fusion - you tend to pull using your abdominal muscles rather than bending your back, which is better for you anyway, and it helps if you use a decline bench.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

Last edited by tonibunny; 6th May 2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: To add info about sit-ups!