Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 31st March 2010, 04:16 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Certified Schroth Practitioners around the world

Here's a list of certified Schroth practitioners around the world:

http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlun...peuten_eng.pdf
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Certified Schroth Practitioners around the world

Found one in Rockville!

Thanks again!
Old 19th May 2012, 11:54 AM

Gwen's Mom, I live in Maryland too and found this website by searching "Schroth Maryland." I am so happy to stumble upon your post. Can you tell me your experience with the Schroth PT you found in Rockville? I am trying to figure out if this is worth pursuing... My daughter is 10.5 years old and we were just referred for bracing to the increase of her curve.... Yet the data on bracing seem so equivocal and I am eager to explore specific physiotherapy. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:47 PM

cs25:
I was trained in Schroth PT when I was 13 years old and was braced for over 5 years in conjunction with it. I am a HUGE advocate of the therapy, but I think its important to stress that if bracing is suggested, the therapy does work best for higher curves in conjunction with a brace. the PT alone is not going to halt progression in most cases. The Schroth method helps patients align their body to a more natural position that ties into their specific curves. Even 5 years out of brace I still apply Schroth principles in my daily life. Its a wonderful way to make a patient feel much more progressive about treatment. Bracing can feel very passive and I know I felt like I wanted to do more. Schroth was a way for me to focus my energy into something very tangible that helped me not only in brace but out as well! Good luck to your daughter! PM or email me if you have more questions. I'm in the DC area and have worked with young patients before both in person and via email.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:56 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi Elphie, welcome to SSO

Its good to hear that you have had some benefit from Schroth therapy In what way do you work with other patients, are you a physiotherapist?

Welcome again,

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 15th August 2012, 03:27 PM

Any young adults in here that experienced benefits of this method? By any chance managed to de-rotate the spine which resulted in a rib hump reduction? There's a certified Schroth therapist in my area. and since I wouldn't have to pay anything (insurance covers it), I'm actually considering giving it a try.

Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 04:47 PM

Hi Im a final year Irish student studying Osteopathy in London. I am seeing an ever increasing number of patients with functional and structural scoliosis coming into our clinic each week. However I feel our treatment and advise isnt very strong. Basically we are told to stretch the short side and de rotate the other side, I follow this up with stretches as seen in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWtrCmzaOw

However Im sure there are lots of people here who could advise me on other or even better ways to improve a structural scoliosis be it exercises given or techniques performed on you by therapists.

I have heard the Schroth Method of Management of Scoliosis is very good but cannot combine my own study with the time it takes to complete that course, so any info on it is greatly welcomes.

Thanks for any help on this and I'll let you know how I get on !