Thread: Twisting limitations with a fusion to the pelvis

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Twisting limitations with a fusion to the pelvis

The following photos are of a chap from our member RodStewart (Ed) who has very kindly given me permission to post them here so you can all see them

He's about 50 years old and is fused from T2 right down into his pelvis, meaning that his entire lumbar spine is fused and he has two pelvic anchors (which are basically bolts that fix the spine to the iliac crests).

Despite this, look at how well he can twist!

Standing twist:

Sitting twist:

Amazing hey? Hopefully this will be reassuring to anyone who is worried about the amount of mobility they'll have following a fusion.

Toni xx
    Last edited by tonibunny; 17th October 2013 at 11:06 AM.
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

Default Re: Twisting limitations with a full fusion

Wow that is amazing

Wow, that is amazing. Congratulations to him! Does he have any mobility forward bending? I'm being fused to L4 and really hope I can touch my toes and tie my shoes when it's all over

I'm fused to L4 and I have no probs at all bending to tie shoes, put socks on, paint my toenails etc I don't have any noticeable lack of mobility, you adapt pretty quickly.

As for this chap....here he is, leaning forward:

By the way, he still goes skiing
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

thanks for that toni, i was wondering what movement i would loose post op and i am pleasantly pleased to say i have not lost any appreciable movement and i am fused T1 to L4
    Latitude: 54 57' 34" N Longitude: 1 25' 16" W

Mark's a groovin an a movin

We're fusion twins Mark! Well, triplets with Abbi, she's another T1-L4er

Daniel is fused to the pelvis too but he has no movement ,when I roll him his whole torso goes too interesting Di

That's interesting. He twists at the hips so I'm guessing a full spine fusion would cause me quite a few problems. Thanks for posting that Toni
    Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!

He did say he has a lot of movement in his shoulders too, and that he has done physio to help with this He's easy to find on NSF if you'd like to ask him anything, he didn't give me specific permission to post his name here at SSO but you'll be able to find his thread in the Surgical (First Time) forum.

Well, I asked Megan to sit down and bend forward as if she was picking something up to the side but she could only go straight forward, not to the side so I've decided against the fusion until I really am in enough pain to warrant it.

I'm very impressed with how much he can still twist though so it shouldn't cause too much bother to someone who's standing
    Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!