Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Default Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Hi all, did a quick search and couldnt find my question so sorry if it has been asked but can you still go for a normal back massage with a fused spine? :/

I was just curious, and I know this is a strange question -- but sex is still very possible with a fused spine, correct? As well as pregnancies?

Oh absolutely!!
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Being a dancer and figure skater, having my spine fused from T6 to L4 seemed like the worst thing that could ever happen.
    I can't skate anymore, and I would love to say I can do everything I used to, but I can't. Instead, I do other things! Like last week I gave a body confidence assembly in my school, using my back to illustrate a point. I use my fused spine to enhance my dance style, and in the summer, I went trekking in Ethiopia and found myself 4500m high in the African mountains.
    Restricted by my back? More like ENCOURAGED to live life to the FULL.

GO GET 'EM!!!

Emily x

Just to let you all know - I am 21 months (almost two years :O) post op today, and I am fused t4-l1. I am 18 now, and have just started waitressing.. full time!! I never thought I would be able to be carrying heavy things, walking around and just generally being on my feet for 8 hours straight, and although it was pretty tough for a few weeks, a month later it's pretty easy to get through the day, and I don't get much pain at all!! I am now working 8 hours a day Monday to Friday, success

A SUCCESS STORY

Hi everyone, I felt I needed to share my story with someone and I guess that is exactly what this chatroom is for!

In October 2012, I had my life-changing operation. I was a dancer, a skater, absolutely buzzing with energy, and would throw myself into any activity I could, be it kayaking, wall climbing, go karting, literally EVERYTHING.

So being told I could be paralysed was a huge shock and was one of my main concerns (no matter how small the chance was).
    It took me 6 months to get fully back on my feet, just in time for my GCSE exams summer 2013.

Those six months were awful for me. For someone so active being suddenly bound to the sofa, unable to sit up at school, feeling exhausted all the time, it was extremely difficult. BUT, and her is the massive BUT-It got better. gradually I was able to make myself a drink, or sit up for half an hour, then I could walk up a hill, and next thing I knew, I could get back to school.

Having everything you worked for taken away was upsetting and disheartening, but also extremely motivational. I have never felt more determined to go out there and take the world!

So here's what I did:

Summer 2013: Trip to India
    Summer 2013 also: Set up my own cake business in my village
    February 2014: competed in a national dance competition, placing high enough to compete in the finals!
    Summer 2014: took a month long expedition to Ethiopia, trekking up mountains and camping and volunteering and learning amazing things
    September 2014: performed in 'Grease' in some extremely energetic dance numbers

It was a pretty amazing moment to be stood 4500m up in the African mountains just two years after my op-I felt like I could do anything!

Since then I've been in my last year of school, finishing A-Levels in Psychology, Dance and Drama-I'm going to get A's.

I've been workshopping body confidence in my school, using my operation as a story to inspire people, and I am so glad I can make a positive impact on people!

Last month I was diagnosed with Chronic Pain. As you can imagine this was another huge knockback. I was invited to attend a 'pain-group' and I was sat amongst all of these people, enveloped by their pain and refusing to move on, and I had this thought:

'I have had a back operation. I have chronic pain. If I am going to be sitting somewhere in pain, it's not going to be in pain group, it's going to be at the head of a business, or awaiting my curtain call back stage.'

Life will ALWAYS be there to throw things at you. And the only way you can avoid this is by taking the obstacles on, adapting them into something positive. I don;t know where I'll be in 10 years, hey I don't even know what I'm doing after my exams finish in two weeks, but I know I am going to take every opportunity I am ever offered, I am going to do everything to the best of my ability and take PRIDE and have COURAGE. Because WHY NOT!?

I'm on a gap year next year, and I'm hoping to cross off about 70 things off my bucket list! Including travelling, work experience, dancing on point and gaining a surfers qualification. I am capable of anything, and so are you.

It is also with sadness that I have to say thank you to Toribunny, a true sunshine beam and source of hope whenever I logged on - godspeed x

What an awesome story Emily, thank you so much for coming back to share it with us! It will be a source of inspiration to many people who read it, I have no doubt.

Congratulations on all you've achieved so far, and wishing you all the luck in the world for your future adventures (wherever they may take you!)
    Diagnosed with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis on the 10th April 2007. Seen at the Child Development Centre at the Medway Maritime Hospital on 18th June then referred to Mr Noordeen at the RNOH Stanmore. Seen by consultant on the 13th July x-rays revealed 77o thoracolumbar curve and severe rotation. Surgery planned in 6 months had surgery on 26th November 2007. Admitted for pre-op on 23rd stayed in over the weekend. Curve then 90o, suffering from pain and reduced lung function. Moved from HDU to ward after 24hrs, then into isolation for suspected infection after 3 days. Symptoms turned out to be a bad reaction to antibiotics.