Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Gosh that is fantastic Rachie! Well done to Maddy!
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

You CAN in fact swing on the swings at a park - not very high in my case but I still did it

Also attempted the trampoline but that's another story for another day

I couldn't swing very high due to the lack of momentum due to (what felt like) a lack of flexibility in bending backwards but I might just need practice as I haven't been on the swings in a few years! That and I can be a bit of a wimp doing anything backwards post-fusion but hopefully this shows parents with younger ones that are getting fused that they will still enjoy the park!
    I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).

Cool Tiff
    Diagnosed with a 75 degree Scheuermann's kyphosis curve in 2010. After numerous doctor visits and a few years later, my curve had developed into one measuring 95 degrees. I had my spinal fusion done June 21, 2012 at the Children's Hospital of Georgia by Norman Chutkan in Augusta, GA.I'm now fused from T5 to L3.
    Follow me on twitter... @JustBeing_Jenny

I feel like I have lost a great deal in life through my now rubbish swinging I used to love going high on the swings it was my favourite!
    I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).

I think you pulled that off really cool Tiff!
    I haven't been on a swing for almost a decade, so I would expect myself to lose balance now.
    Do you still fare well in a crawl tube?
    Stella
    Sep 2012 (aged 15.5): Curves measured at 33T and 23L
    Mar 2013 (aged 16.0): Curves measured at 35T and 23L

Haha thanks - me and Lucy were looking after her family friend who is 7 and took her to the park so I just hopped on a swing and then realised that it was actually my first time post op afterwards

And I hated crawl tubes as a child and I nearly feared them pre op as I felt my hump took up a lot of space and even post op I don't like things that involve me going through back upwards as I feel very conscious that I may still take up a lot of space. I don't see why I couldn't manage one if I chose to attempt it

Oh wow Tiff, yet another beautiful photo of you,

Aw thanks Mary! Not my greatest angle but I just wanted to include the picture to sort of explain what I was trying to say that I could still use the swing and that isn't a face of pain - I just couldn't make myself go much higher

I am 4 and 1/2 months post op, fused t3-l1, and yesterday I completed a 30km bike ride in 1:08!! I could barely last 2 minutes without pain before surgery, no pain till about 2 hours after the ride yesterday!!

Quote Originally Posted by tiffany.m View Post
    Haha thanks - me and Lucy were looking after her family friend who is 7 and took her to the park so I just hopped on a swing and then realised that it was actually my first time post op afterwards

And I hated crawl tubes as a child and I nearly feared them pre op as I felt my hump took up a lot of space and even post op I don't like things that involve me going through back upwards as I feel very conscious that I may still take up a lot of space. I don't see why I couldn't manage one if I chose to attempt it
    Swings used to make me dizzy when I wad a kid....motion sickness.

After those roller costers the swings should be childs play for u tiff.

Pre op went for a jog with a friend came across a park with a seesaw.....tried it....back was so stiff I struggled to get off...couldn't work out y.....

Good to know ill likely be able to play with my kids in a few years.

Ange

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

You're stiff because you're only five weeks post-op, Ange.
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

it was a pre op and pre diagnosis attempt at a seesaw with my friend. My kyphosis was so stiff I struggled to get off the seesaw .....I had to get help. Wasn't picked up yet so I couldn't understand y I couldn't lift myself off the thing.

Wonder if ill be good at it later...

I wouldn't try a seesaw at 5weeks post op lol! Not even my craziness extends that far. I think 1bump would torture me at this point.

My friend too a pic of me struggling off the side I was basically hanging... I should get hold of the foto it was quite funny at the time.....

Ange

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Y View Post
    I am 4 and 1/2 months post op, fused t3-l1, and yesterday I completed a 30km bike ride in 1:08!! I could barely last 2 minutes without pain before surgery, no pain till about 2 hours after the ride yesterday!!
    Congratulations!!
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

I have just been reading through these and am so impressed at how much can still be done with full fusions.........

Poor Karen when our GP showed her how she would end up turning from side to side and dancing (like a robot), I thought he was wrong, but you aint gonna pull your GP up are you....

But so glad to know Karen will be able to get back to her dancing which she loves.... (and not like a robot) and her swimming.... .....

Your all pretty Amazing I have to say......

Sandra xxx

Sandra mother to Karen diagnosed with scoliosis at 8 yrs first Spinal Fusion Dec '09 12 yrs, Jun '11 section of rod detached from spine, had to be removed. April '12 had surgery to remove all metal work from her spine due to constant back pain Jan 13 Costoplasty to remove some prominent rib hump.

I really hope lots of people who are worried about their treatment read this ENTIRE thread! It's so inspirational - and from the mouths of people who have been there and done that!

For my two-pennies. I can honestly say having a fused spine hasn't really stopped my doing anything important!

I've been on fair rides, danced until the wee hours, I can roly-poly (carefully!), I can touch my toes....

Okay, so I can't lie on my front, which means I'm rubbish at surfing now (mouthfulls of seawater!), so I boogie board instead! And, I am much more mindful of situations where I could fall (like walking on ice for instance) - but so what! There's no reason why anyone should have to give up something that's really important to them - there's always a way around.

xx