Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Default Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

I did my first unassisted forwards roll on Wednesday at cheer it has taken a while as I always freaked out about going over as a result of a trampolining incident when I was younger.
    Successful correction surgery 01/12/2009 at Alder Hey from T2 to L3
    http://www.facebook.com/bronteh
    www.scoliteen.weebly.com

Congratulations!
    I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).

Congratulations Bronte, I have never been able to do a roll forward and I remember in school my P.E. teacher insisted I do one and she hurt my back trying to push me forward and ever since that I was terrified to try to do it.

In April I managed to walk 570 metres high to the top of Maulin hill in winter conditions and yesterday I walked to the top of Djouce mountain which is 725 metres Maulin hill and Djouce mountain are based in County Wicklow which is south of Dublin.

Well done Muriel,

Yay, that's fantastic
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

You can play golf - and be good at it. Ken Duke (aged 43) won a US championship recently and he had corrective scoliosis surgery when he was 15!
    I'm 44, I had a scoliosis: thoracic at 49 degrees, lumbar 47 with severe rib rotation. My surgery took place on 28th March 2014, I have 26 screws and 2 titanium rods.

Climb over your 6ft garden fence after the storms that occurred yesterday night and then scramble under your rabbit hutch (whoops!). Surprised myself because I had to hoist myself with no grip did feel a bit like my back was about to give birthday to an external rod soon so it sure won't become a habit!

And also work a 7 hour shift (with a 30 min break in the middle) on your feet constantly bending constantly to the floor and crouching to reach things

Not even 10 months post op yet!
    I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).

Yay Tiff!! You seem to be doing great
    Diagnosed with a 75 degree Scheuermann's kyphosis curve in 2010. After numerous doctor visits and a few years later, my curve had developed into one measuring 95 degrees. I had my spinal fusion done June 21, 2012 at the Children's Hospital of Georgia by Norman Chutkan in Augusta, GA.I'm now fused from T5 to L3.
    Follow me on twitter... @JustBeing_Jenny

Thank you Jenny must admit surprised myself - never thought I'd be doing this so soon!

Also never added spending over 6 hours in thin 4 inch stilettos (no platform) whilst dancing, walking constantly at prom. Was only 8 and a bit months post op then

Is your job physically demanding Tiff?
    Congrats on getting a job.
    Stella
    Sep 2012 (aged 15.5): Curves measured at 33T and 23L
    Mar 2013 (aged 16.0): Curves measured at 35T and 23L

Tiff

What were you doing under your rabbit hutch?
    Latitude: 54 57' 34" N Longitude: 1 25' 16" W

Mark's a groovin an a movin

It is Stella - at least for someone with a fused spine due to the constant bending.

Lol Mark I forgot my key and we have a spare there

I am 3 months post op and last night bent and touched the ground for the first time. It took me 3 weeks of gradually getting lower but at last i managed it

SAILING!

This photo of Maddy was taken today. She is 13 years old and 2 years post-fusion, and today she achieved her RYA Level 4. She has only been sailing since last September and she absolutely loves it. She won't do her physiotherapy exercises but boy does she get a workout when she's sailing! I was watching her today after capsize drill, pulling herself up out of the water and on to the boat. Then when they had finished sailing, pulling/pushing the boat out of the water. She's totally covered in bruises but, over the last 3 days, has never seemed happier. She's certainly found her thing and is hoping to do her Assistance Instructor course next season. The only thing she can't do is lean out of the boat as you have to arch your back, but that's not required much in the boats she sails. She's a very gutsy sailor, staying out in tough conditions when others decide to give up. I think all that she has been through has shaped her character and, of course, I am very proud.
    Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.