Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Heels and Scoliosis.

Cool Re: High Heels and Scoliosis.

you have indeed sweetiee.
    x
    i'm 19 years old.
    had surgery at the QMC in 10th Nov08. fused from T5-L1.
    best decision i've ever made.

physically in Aylesbury, mentally on another planet

Default Re: High Heels and Scoliosis.

Although I love heels as they are so pretty, I absolutely refuse to wear them anymore - My pain levels just go sky high if I do, plus it makes my limp worse and then aggitates my left knee too (the side with the limp). I honestly think that wearing them when I was younger and clubbing and stuff accelerated the wear and tear and helped give me more pain now.

Claire, I totally agree. It is my right side and knee/hip that is the problem so there is no way I could ever wear heels. I don't normally limp but if I wear heels then I get a limp for a day or two and my sciatica plays up badly. So it never is worth it for me. I'm small (5ft 2") and I'll just have to live with it I guess. Fashion changes all the time though and I believe flat shoes are starting to get popular again. I reckon in two seasons they will be back.

physically in Aylesbury, mentally on another planet

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy7 View Post
    Claire, I totally agree. It is my right side and knee/hip that is the problem so there is no way I could ever wear heels. I don't normally limp but if I wear heels then I get a limp for a day or two and my sciatica plays up badly. So it never is worth it for me. I'm small (5ft 2") and I'll just have to live with it I guess. Fashion changes all the time though and I believe flat shoes are starting to get popular again. I reckon in two seasons they will be back.

Completely agree Lucy, I was 5ft 2" now shrunk to 5ft. There are loads of nice flats about so I am happy with that, and live in my birkenstocks in the summer anyway.

I found out today I'm not five foot, Im four foot eleven and a half which is pretty close

Ive grown an inch a year! YAY!
    Diagnosed: 16th July 2008. MAY 2009 - Thoracic 56.8 Lumbar 38.3.
    NOV 2010 - Thoracic 83.6 Lumbar 54.9. JAN 2011 - Thoracic 66.4 Lumbar 30.9. May 2011 - Thoracic 45. Lumbar 6.

Ha I love that you're 13 with significant scoliosis and you're the same height (or near enough) as me

I think heels are beautiful and I know that if I could wear them I would be in a serious amount of debt because I could not resist buying them! Still, at least i'll never have to put up with bunions (or shoe debt )
    I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year

I realise I am a little late on this thread.... Pop's hope you got your heals....
    I find that it all depends on how the shoe is made, sometimes i have as much problem with flatish ones as they are not blancing me properly, and my favourate heals and i have them in red and black... are really high and even stilettoes...BUT they are perfectly balenced and I am quite happy totering round in them all evening (and usually if that is the case the hangover willl ensure i take it easy the next day so it will balence out)...

I have just bought my first Pair of MBT's look a little like trainers, and i am allergic to trainers but I figured if they were going to lower my back ache and give my legs a work out....well they were worth a day...so I have them on now

Haha, dont worry about it,

Yeah I've got them, walked two miles in them and nearly died! :O The pain was horrendous, not only in my back but in my feet too.

xxxx
    NOV 2010 - Thoracic 83.6 Lumbar 54.9. JAN 2011 - Thoracic 66.4 Lumbar 30.9. May 2011 - Thoracic 45. Lumbar 6.

If your going to walk that far...you best also invest in some MBT's although best to try them on in a shop first, dont think i really should have got them on the internet, turns out if i had wanted to change them I wouldnt be about to oh well happy to give them a go!

I am an MBT addict - have thrown out most of my other shoes - I have 6 pairs of MBTs now - but I can happily report that Skechers Shape Ups, slightly less unstable but a great deal cheaper, work for my S1 joint pain as effectively as MBTs - there has been a TV ad campaign recently.

http://www.uk.skechers.com/en/shape_ups/about-shape-ups

They are neither especially elegant nor are they very dressy but they are blissfully comfortable. I have 2 pairs so far, the trainers and the Mary Jane style ones - obviously I bought them to save money

Note to self - stop buying shoes

Barbara

I know I wore about an inch heel for a day and my back screemed at the end.. (did that last week long time probabily 4 years! haha Never doing that again!
    Dx '06 adolescent idiopathic kyphoscoliosis T6-T11 upper 40 deg T12-L4 low 35 deg. TLSO brace for 18 mo. surgery '08 upper 28 deg. low 31deg. Had lamenectomy with decompression done 6/5/13 on L4,
    L5, S1. Also have
    osteoarthritisis, spinal stenosis, and DDD all in lumbar spine...

Quote Originally Posted by bara View Post
    I am an MBT addict -
    I find mine quite heavy to wear....and also really hard to do them up so the backs dont slide (do you get that too?)

Cool Re: High Heels and Scoliosis.

Hey - those shoes are gorgeous! I love high heels, I'm a shoe addict! But they do make my back, hips, legs and knees really ache. I try to take out a pair of flat shoes to wear on my way home and only wear high heels on special occasions, not every day!
    I always suffer the next day but I always think its worth it to look and feel good about yourself Just as long as you are careful and its not all the time! xxx

I'm not sure if I'm being dumb or I just generally dont understand Cheski...You can try again if you like.. I'll keep reading it trying to work it out.

I havent worn them since kate, dont want to ruin them, I'll save them to the summer now.

Pops xx

Quote Originally Posted by Cheski View Post
    I find mine quite heavy to wear....and also really hard to do them up so the backs dont slide (do you get that too?)
    Heavy - the newer styles tend to be lighter, especially the ones designed for wearing to work, I have some older trainers from the original design that are really heavy. Just did a bit of checking and the Skechers are a bit lighter.

I have problems with doing up all shoes properly so they don't slip because I have a high instep - the Skechers are actually better on me than the MBTs for not slipping, even the Velcro-fastening Mary Jane type - I think it's maybe because they are just a little less rigid than MBTs.

Incidentally I just found some even more interesting looking shoes along the same lines ...
    http://www.rubyshoesdayhebdenbridge....1256/Alegria/0

Look out, bank balance, here I go again!!
    B