Thread: Diclofenac V Naproxen V Ibuprofen

Default Diclofenac V Naproxen V Ibuprofen

Just out of interest...which of these do you take (if any) and which work the best for you?

Please also state they type of pain, it is treating- nerve, muscular, disc, etc
    Diagnosed Feb 89 with 60 degree curve (S shape). 2 spinal ops, 2 weeks apart, Sept 1990 RNOH, Stanmore. Mr Ransford. Fused with Harrington and sublaminar wires from T3-T12 and L1-L4.

Recently developed occasional pains, some achy, some more nervy. All occur in left, lower back/pelvis and radiate down left leg. Suspected pseudoarthrosis in L3/4 and some early disc degen in lowest disc L5/S1. Not sure which is responsible for pain (one, both or neither)

Default Re: Diclofenac V Naproxen V Ibuprofen

Had all 3

They are all anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.. Naprooxem is specially made to release medicine slowly in the body. Breaking the pill would cause too much of the drug to be released at one time. The enteric-coated pill has a special coating to protect your stomach . Weres Ibrofen Hasnt and there are some types of Diclofenic that do have a coated film . but at the moment am banned from taking any of thease pills as i have had a ulcer ..

As Simon has stated, Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory apart from being a pain killer. I used to love my ibuprofen and it did help me with pain especially at night. Sadly, I can no longer take it because I developed an allergic reaction to them - after taking them for 20 years I suddenly found I couldn't breathe one day which was scary.
    It really is odd how you can suddenly develop an allergy to something.

As Simon has said I have had all three too. Right now I am on Diclofenic and percocet as needed. We were told not to use any NSAID with diclofenic.
    Naproxen I took for a while along with skelaxin (a muscle relaxer). This really buggs your stomach after a while!!!

I have low back pain due to a 31 degree curve, stenosis, 3 bulging discs, and osteoarthritis.
    I have found the diclofenic helps the best....then when it gets really bad to take percocet as well.
    The Diclofenic can also come in patch form called the flector patch. If your stomach has problems already you may look into this. It goes directly to the spot that hurts and absorbs through the skin. So, therfore, it is stronger (cause sometimes your stomach acid will tone these meds down or mess them up), and it bypasses your stomach. Must warn you though it is expensive.
    There is also the Voltaren gel you can get and put it on the spot that hurts. Seems to be used more than the patch.
    Best of luck!
    Dx '06 adolescent idiopathic kyphoscoliosis T6-T11 upper 40 deg T12-L4 low 35 deg. TLSO brace for 18 mo. surgery '08 upper 28 deg. low 31deg. Had lamenectomy with decompression done 6/5/13 on L4,
    L5, S1. Also have
    osteoarthritisis, spinal stenosis, and DDD all in lumbar spine...

As already said they are all NSAIDs and can help to reduce inflammation and so help with the pain. I can't take any of them as they make my legs swell to the point I can't bend at the knees at all and they also upset my stomach.

But there are lots of other types of pain killers, such as Co-codamol, dihydrocodeine, tramadol, Butrans patches and there's good old paracetamol, if it's not too bad at times. (The opiates have other side effects, such as constipation and drowsiness though)

Hope you can find something that works for you without too many probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsrme View Post
    As Simon has said I have had all three too. Right now I am on Diclofenic and percocet as needed. We were told not to use any NSAID with diclofenic.
    Naproxen I took for a while along with skelaxin (a muscle relaxer). This really buggs your stomach after a while!!!

I have low back pain due to a 31 degree curve, stenosis, 3 bulging discs, and osteoarthritis.
    I have found the diclofenic helps the best....then when it gets really bad to take percocet as well.
    The Diclofenic can also come in patch form called the flector patch. If your stomach has problems already you may look into this. It goes directly to the spot that hurts and absorbs through the skin. So, therfore, it is stronger (cause sometimes your stomach acid will tone these meds down or mess them up), and it bypasses your stomach. Must warn you though it is expensive.
    There is also the Voltaren gel you can get and put it on the spot that hurts. Seems to be used more than the patch.
    Best of luck!

Ooo thanks for that

I will have to look into the patch form as the doctors will just not touch me with reagrds to Diclofenic or any other one .. and am taking 80 mg of opmarozole ..

Thanks i shall mention that to my gp ..

x

Yep. Glad I could be of some help. Any other questions on that med or any. Just PM me.
    Dx '06 adolescent idiopathic kyphoscoliosis T6-T11 upper 40 deg T12-L4 low 35 deg. TLSO brace for 18 mo. surgery '08 upper 28 deg. low 31deg. Had lamenectomy with decompression done 6/5/13 on L4,
    L5, S1. Also have
    osteoarthritisis, spinal stenosis, and DDD all in lumbar spine...

I dont know much of the names of medications i take but i try limit them for muscular pain of mainly lumber spine (sometimes the side of angle of thoraic , like the side ) or around right rib area , i take panodal or nurofen (ibuprofen)
    But i find panodal much better because it targets the pain faster ... i dont know whats in it though

I've tried Co-codamol and it makes me 'sickly' which I can do without. Naproxen and Ibuprofen have worked on occasions but sometimes they don't. They also batter my stomach. Sometimes though I'm prepared to take the risk!

Does anyone know which of these two is gentler on the stomach?

Never tried diclofenac, though I've read that it works better than most other stuff?.....though it's still an NSAID?
    Diagnosed Feb 89 with 60 degree curve (S shape). 2 spinal ops, 2 weeks apart, Sept 1990 RNOH, Stanmore. Mr Ransford. Fused with Harrington and sublaminar wires from T3-T12 and L1-L4.

Recently developed occasional pains, some achy, some more nervy. All occur in left, lower back/pelvis and radiate down left leg. Suspected pseudoarthrosis in L3/4 and some early disc degen in lowest disc L5/S1. Not sure which is responsible for pain (one, both or neither)

Quote Originally Posted by pioneer31 View Post
    I've tried Co-codamol and it makes me 'sickly' which I can do without. Naproxen and Ibuprofen have worked on occasions but sometimes they don't. They also batter my stomach. Sometimes though I'm prepared to take the risk!

Does anyone know which of these two is gentler on the stomach?

Never tried diclofenac, though I've read that it works better than most other stuff?.....though it's still an NSAID?
    Naproxem if am right is a tad easier on your tummy if you can get any opmraxole from the gp that will help your tummy 2 ..

And with co.codomol i have had them before and they make me feel sickey but i have got 8/500 so thats only 8 mill of codene and 500 of paro and i find them far bettter than the 30/500 x

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Naproxem if am right is a tad easier on your tummy if you can get any opmraxole from the gp that will help your tummy 2 ..

And with co.codomol i have had them before and they make me feel sickey but i have got 8/500 so thats only 8 mill of codene and 500 of paro and i find them far bettter than the 30/500 x

I'm surprised that 8/500 is strong enough. What type of pain do you use it for?

8/500 are great for myself ..

Lower back pain and left hip i use it for .. its also good as you can take some Anti-iflammetries with them they work quite well togther !! and if you feel that the 30/500 are making you feel funny then i defo reccomened the others even though there is only 8 mg of codiene dont underestemite the codine x

I have been placed on Naproxen for nerve pain/irritation (pinched nerves), it worked quite well but I wasn't able to take it for extended periods of time because it started to absolutely kill my stomach! :P

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I have been placed on Naproxen for nerve pain/irritation (pinched nerves), it worked quite well but I wasn't able to take it for extended periods of time because it started to absolutely kill my stomach! :P
    Never heard of to be given for nerve pain Noddle .. Usaually . Gapepentin is uesd for that .. !!