Thread: What to wear UNDER brace?

Default What to wear UNDER brace?

Hi,

I'm new here and looking for help and advice for my 13.5 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with scoliosis. She is due to have a boston brace and we've been told to get a tight fitting, seamless (if poss) tshirt to wear under the brace - I just can't seem to find one!! My daughter, Chloe, is petite so can't wear womans sizes - can anyone help please?

Default Re: What to wear UNDER brace?

My daughter wears a brace and she wears a normal vest underneath which is turned inside out to prevent the seams digging in. We did this because we could never find seamless vests, although I think I've heard that Primark may sell them? Anyway, it does work, she never has a problem with seams digging in.

Rachie x
    Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.

Hello and welcome to SSo. I'm sorry to hear about her daughter. She is in good company here - we have lots of members who are wearing or who have worn a brace. My daughter wears an inside out vest too and it seems to work fine. However, I have yet to find one that fits snugly as she's so skinny, so there's always some bunching which is probably as bad as a seam I have the same problem with swimsuits, although have now been saved by Primark!!

Again, welcome.
    Andrea x
    Mum to Erin, 10, diagnosed with 62 degree curve in May 04, aged 21 months. Serial casting '04-'07. Growth rods inserted June '08 under Mr Tucker at RNOH, Stanmore, UK. Surgery October '11 to replace a broken rod.

Hello,
    We were given a special vest for under Boston brace so it's worth asking your orthotist if they can supply one. My daughter's vests are made by Knit-rite in USA and our orthotist at Great ormond street hospital probably orders from them. I am not sure if you can make individual orders but here is their website http://www.knitrite.com/orthotic-afo...nterfaces.html
    My daugher had the one with "Unilateral axilla flaps" and it depends on the way the brace is made.
    We don't need them anymore as she has a different brace which requires different vest so if anybody needs vests for Boston brace that is made for left curve than we have 3 here for a child 7-8 years old.
    I am pretty sure there are companies that make those in the UK. Try searching in google.
    Hope this helps.
    Stana

Talking Re: What to wear UNDER brace?

Hi and welcome!
    Hanger Prosthetics in the US had seamless tank tops that were sweat absorbant. I found that they were annoying. I wore a seamless tank top in my size under mine on top. I wore yoga pants that had small seams under mine to. If you wear bottoms under the brace make sure that even the underwear have small seams. Hope this helps!!
    Dx '06 adolescent idiopathic kyphoscoliosis T6-T11 upper 40 deg T12-L4 low 35 deg. TLSO brace for 18 mo. surgery '08 upper 28 deg. low 31deg. Had lamenectomy with decompression done 6/5/13 on L4,
    L5, S1. Also have
    osteoarthritisis, spinal stenosis, and DDD all in lumbar spine...

I actually used to use the large tubigrip stuff they dress you up in when casting the brace. My mother was cheeky enough to ask if we could have a few more pieces and the plaster theatre staff always obliged. I always insisted they were washed multiple times with lots of fabric conditioner before I used them as they started off a little itchy, but they were totally seamless, tight to the skin and if they started to slip at all I just used to fold them over the top of the brace and stick them down with a bit of tape.

I'm not sure if they'd be as obliging nowadays, but it may be worth asking!

Ryan wears the knitrite tops (as above) and to be honest they are brilliant. When he'd had his op they stretched beautifully so you have no trouble dressing.
    I got his from Gilbert and Mellish a UK orthotics firm.They are really helpful and although the vests are a bit pricey his have lasted years!