Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyphosis Links

Hybrid View

kyphosis

Hope this of some use, its from the same website i posted the link to in the General Forum

I think its a good thing i posted this after John's surgery, it might of finished him off

mark
    Latitude: 54 57' 34" N Longitude: 1 25' 16" W

Mark's a groovin an a movin

presentation

Power point presentation. Good general presentation on kyphosis

http://www.espine.com/kyphosis.pdf

good grief mark! thank goodness u waited or I'd have bolted!

strangely at the enterance to QMC spinal unit they have pictures of surgery which was a bit disconcerting!

my dad couldn't believe all those photos john. he said it would've frightened him out of surgery and that as a patient he'd be happy to see them afterwards but not before, and i have to agree, they were pretty graphic. QMC needs an interior designer or a feng shui (sp?) person or just some plain common sense i think
    Diagnosed in March 2001 by family GP after my mum noticed an asymmetry in my spine. Referred to a consultant at the RNOH, Stanmore and started attending consultations for x-rays twice a year. Prescribed a TLSO brace to be worn 16 hours per day. Began with double major curves at approx 48 degrees. Offered surgery in 2003 aged 16 and declined to continue with school. Requested surgery in 2005 instead. Had T11-L3 fused on 16th July 2005 and haven't looked back! Released for all activities in March 2006, having been driving and riding horses with consultant's permission since 7 weeks post op.

it was outgragous wasn't it! Literally in the welcome to our spinal unit area was a wall covered in open surgery pictures! Marvellous!

my dad and i couldn't believe it. i wonder if other wards at QMC are the same, like if you go to the maternity unit for example and get to see various stages of birth or something. i'd have run screaming if i'd been a QMC patient, they would have had to anaesthetise me outside the building
    Diagnosed in March 2001 by family GP after my mum noticed an asymmetry in my spine. Referred to a consultant at the RNOH, Stanmore and started attending consultations for x-rays twice a year. Prescribed a TLSO brace to be worn 16 hours per day. Began with double major curves at approx 48 degrees. Offered surgery in 2003 aged 16 and declined to continue with school. Requested surgery in 2005 instead. Had T11-L3 fused on 16th July 2005 and haven't looked back! Released for all activities in March 2006, having been driving and riding horses with consultant's permission since 7 weeks post op.

post operative advice

With so many members now post operative i found this link offering good advice on how to get over the initial few weeks

mark

Oh thanks Mark! I'm putting it on favourites so I can read it now and then go back to it after my surgery.

Thats an excellent website Mark.....Stanmores advice is also brilliant!(not sure if its available online though)

"You may resume driving when you feel comfortable driving." eeeek! don't agree with that one! but the rest is pretty good...perhaps one of us stanmore patients can put our advice sheets up on SSO in the downloads section? i have mine scanned into my computer somewhere...it was a really good set of sheets

How long would you recommend waiting, Becky?

Did you do anything to help get accustomed to any reduced flexibility you might have as it applies to looking around you for traffic (especially when changing lanes)?
    congenital scoliosis, thoracic fusion without instrumentation in 1974 (age 11mos), re-operated in 1975 (age 17mo.s) ~ lung volume 25-30%

i had a consultation at 7 weeks post op and was allowed to drive then, but jo (can't remember her SSO username) was told at the same stage to not drive, and i know people who have yet to pass their tests or start learning to drive are told to wait several months (martha for example i think, and tracey)

i haven't lost much flexibility, but i did have a couple of problems. my old car didn't have power steering so i bought a new one (if you don't have PAS and can't get a new car, wait longer, because driving without PAS is like lifting something heavy, and you're not allowed to do that). changing lanes i don't find a problem (this might get confusing, you may have to visualise that i drive a right hand drive car and we drive on the left over here too...bear with me) my major problem was reversing into a parking space, and looking over my right shoulder, down the side of the car (so twisting that way i found a problem, this was twisting away from my incision side) and the only other thing i found tough was (surprisingly) the handbrake! in most cars over here the handbrake is between the front seats, behind the gearstick - pulling it up engages the brake, releasing it and putting it down takes it off. i found it hard to lift it up initially because i hadn't lifted anything for so long

i hope that's not too long and confusing. i was surprised i didn't have issues with my legs getting tired. the thing to remember is, if you're parking etc and have trouble twisting, that's the sort of manoeuvre you can really take your time with and crawl through if necessary. i think blair got back behind the wheel after surgery too so perhaps we can ask her later

ok i currently don't have my advice sheets scanned in, but it would only take me two minutes. if any mods/admins think it appropriate, i can spend all afternoon getting my dense brain to figure out how to post them to the downloads section

Considering the seriousness of the op, two months seems a reasonable wait. I can't imagine feeling "comfortable" any sooner than that, so maybe that's what they had in mind when writing the page.
    congenital scoliosis, thoracic fusion without instrumentation in 1974 (age 11mos), re-operated in 1975 (age 17mo.s) ~ lung volume 25-30%

maybe. i just remembered that jo said she was told that one of the criteria was when she could do an emergency stop safely