Thread: My Xrays after revision and 9 years before!

Default My Xrays after revision and 9 years before!

Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
    Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
    2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.

Default Re: My Xrays after revision and 9 years before!

Spinals

You sagittal balance looks great! That must be helping out with your neck....

You do have quite a lot to look at in your x-ray.... (smiley face)

What are the 4 devices in your thoracic? Looks like that was done in your costoplasty?.....which is rare here and donít see much of in the US.

I hope your pain is settling down by now.....

Deep Breaths

Ed

57 yr old male
    T70 L70 double trouble
    A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008

Hi, thank you, I am pleased with my new tilted back posture and it does help my neck.

Yes, I have accumulated a lot of metal over the years! You can't see the 30į hyperlordoctic cage implanted at L5/S1 with it being plastic.

The 4 metal clips on my ribcage were used to try to match my 'non-rib hump' side to the other side where the surgeon tried to reduce the hump as much as possible. So the clips were used to create a more symmetrical appearance. I didn't realise this was rare to see in the States!

I'm also pleased to report I am no longer walking like a robot and I'm getting stronger each week. However, I do have a complication with my buttock/leg which may mean I have one or both of the pelvic anchors removed at a later date but we will see

Many or most of todays spacers or cages are made from PEEK, which is radiolucent....(cant see on x-ray) I have 5 PEEK spacers from L1-S1 and they have multiple radiopaque (visable on x-ray) markers that look like these little dots on x-ray. They are implanted in the spacer so surgeons can see if our spacers move during our recoveries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEEK

Costoplasty or Thoracoplasty in the States is uncommon.... There are just a small handful of US patients since the modern hardware pedicle screw systems do remove much of the rotation which causes rib and lumbar humps. I have a mild rib hump now, its not something that bothers me. Overcorrection especially in stiff adult curves is not the best thing.....Young patients, young girls really do have an excellent chance of good corrections and rib hump removal.

My pelvic anchors really ached for a few months.....It was a very slow recovery for me, and I think that since I knew it was going to take 2 years, I had my bottle filled up with extra patience. I also lost my gall bladder and thought it might have been an incisional hernia, my vascular surgeon wasnít going there, they do like to wait around a year before even considering going back in for any reason. So much for self diagnosis.

Its not easy pinpointing pain sources and a shame creating another pain source on a mistake......Our surgeons really have to think that much harder on revision surgeries even if pedicle screw removal is an easy thing.....

Good news on walking smoother.....I am usually pretty smooth, (Fred Astaire smooth)....LOL, unless a storm rolls in or Iím having a bad day. Thatís when I become C3P0. I can actually hear the windshield wiper motor sounds as I walk.....woop, woop, woop, woop.

Keep smiling....

Ed

57 yr old male
    T70 L70 double trouble
    A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008

I had my costoplasty when I was 26 which was 15 years after my Harrington rod fusion so I lived with a large rib hump for quite awhile. I remember feeling disappointed when I looked at my postop xray when I was 11 years old because I thought my spine would be completely straight! Its amazing what the new techniques can achieve now though.

Regarding my latest recovery I dont think I have been very patient as its only been 6 months but I expect to be back to full fitness. I am quite hard on myself. Hopefully it works out that I do not need any further surgeries as to be honest I am now tired of them!

Wow that is some amount of surgical bling you have there

Thanks for posting the pictures

Mark
    Latitude: 54į 57' 34" N Longitude: 1į 25' 16" W

Mark's a groovin an a movin

Ha ha, surgical bling!!