Thread: New to the Forum. Need Help!

Default New to the Forum. Need Help!

Hello my name is Oren Dramen and I have been living with kyphosis since i was in middle school. I went through high school and division one college wrestling with my back and the issues were pretty minimal at the time. Currently I am 25 and have many issues. I can't stand for more than 10 minutes without feeling discomfort and then pain in my back. Sitting and driving is a hassle with constant discomfort and pain as well. I am looking for some help as in what workouts I can do to improve my posture and ease the pain in these situations. I have a 70 degree curve and want to avoid surgery as much as possible. Thank you and any help or advice is appreciated.

Default Re: New to the Forum. Need Help!

Hi Oren and welcome!

Your history sounds similar to mine though my curve was a bit more severe so I went ahead with surgery last year.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer with discomfort and I think it's great to look into non-surgical methods to improve your posture and help with pain. There is a program out there, called the Scroth method I think, that some people try out for their kyphosis - I believe it's a more intense type of physical therapy. If you haven't already tried traditional physical therapy, that would be a great place to start if you can get a referral from your physician.

Physical therapy did help ease my pain (as well as improve my posture a bit) when I was pre-surgery. Actually I do more physical therapy post surgery to help the muscles support my new back.

I'm no professional but I can tell you that for me, stretching was the BEST thing I did for my back. Every morning (before and since surgery) I stretch my hamstrings, piriformis muscles, low back, upper back and then chest. Hamstrings are notoriously tight in folks like us so that really helps. I do several 'door stretches' during the day which really open up the chest and help my shoulder go back a bit. After years of being in a forward position, those puppies REALLY need all the stretching you can give them!

I hope you can find a good workout program (preferably from a professional who understands kyphosis) as I think that will really give you some relief and help you to stand a bit straighter (though keep in mind, it will NOT straighten your spine unless you have postural kyphosis).

Best of luck to you - sorry it took so long for a reply.
    Kay
    - Kay

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. 30 years later, I had posterior fusion surgery, expertly handled by Dr. Sethi on Earth Day 2014. The surgery reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.