Thread: 2 years post op and still in pain! Is anyone the same?

Default 2 years post op and still in pain! Is anyone the same?

Hiya, in 2012 I was fused from T6 to L4, and had quite severe pain in my left hip (where the curve pulled my hip up).

I was fused with a straight spine, although above the rods, my shoulders are wonky, with my left shoulder significantly higher
    I always have knots in my trapezius, and if I am doing activities for any amount of time, I start to get pain in my lower and mid back, mainly around my rods, but also in my hips.

I had a check up with the consultant in November, but they said there was nothing they could do. I've always been told 'time will heal', but now its been two years I think they are reconsidering!

Does anyone else have this problem? I get that all cases are individual, but it would be nice to know if anyone had this and it got better!

Emily x

(as the doctors mentioned taking the metalwork out, and I really can't deal with this, especially as I already missed the whole of year 11 for surgery, and I can't be taking a gap year this year just to recover again.)

Default Re: 2 years post op and still in pain! Is anyone the same?

Hi Emily,

I'm four years post op and I still have daily pain, I am considerably older than you though 49) so I'm not sure if it will help you much. My pain, I've been told is from my hardware-I have protruding hardware in the middle of my back which rubs on my muscles and is particularly bad if I've been leaning forwards a lot. Does your back hurt all over? Or is it just the hip?
    I was offered removal but its not something I want to do as I've heard of people recurving again afterwards andmy surgeon said there are no guarantees that the pain will improve.

Have you tried any physio on the problem area? I have found that in time I have got used to how my back feels but I have to be aware of what I'm doing and not overdo things. I now walk a lot which does help to loosen my tight muscles, being active is important when you've had this surgery. Perhaps you could ask your dr to refer you to a pain clinic?
    Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight

yeah it definately feels localised by the rods, so all down my back! the metalwork rubbing against muscle seems like a good explanation!, and yes, like you its when i bend over or do a lot of activity.
    I'm a dancer so I do keep active, but that can cause pain as well, so a difficult circle to have ended up in!
    yeah i really dont want to go for removal, I've been referred to a pain psychologist so hopefully that will help something! (if it does I will TOTALLY let you know!!)

I have hip pain too! It's really wierd, but I get pain exactly in the places you expained, and have been to physio who told me I have knots all ovver my trapezius muscles and messed up shoulder muscles. I also get that pain from being active around my mid and lower back, and my hip often clicks and is really painful! My dr told me that my hip pain is normal.. doesn't feel normal!