Thread: Mobility with a T12-S1 fusion

Default Mobility with a T12-S1 fusion

Hi. I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I have an T12-L5 fusion that has served me well for many years. The problem is that the L5-S1 site is now failing and I have painful sciatica down the right leg. In the past year the pain has persisted for 4-5 months and then devolved to something manageable. Unfortunately the pain is back and I am searching options for long term relief. Having already had a discetomy at L5, my only surgical option is to complete the fusion of L5-S1. Can anyone tell me the possible limitations of mobility, restrictions of range of motion or limitations of activities I might experience if I choose this option?

Default Re: Mobility with a T12-S1 fusion

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't really say how you'll be restricted, because of not having that low a fusion. Hopefully someone with greater knowledge of Lumbar fusions that I have will be able to help, as there are a few members that have Lumbar vertebrae fused.

Sorry i cant be much more of help, but i do hope that you manage to get help as it sounds horrible what you are going through.

Jay
    Diagnosed at 14 in '08 with Neuromuscular Kyposcoliosis (due to my Neurofibromatosis Type 1) in the Thoraco-lumber region (T-65* L60*).
    Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14

tonibunny is offline SSo Legends ~ Always Remembered

Hi Traveler, welcome to SSO

I'm afraid I can't really help either as my own fusion stops at L4, but we do have some members who are fused to the sacrum and even into their pelvis, and hopefully they'll post soon. In the meantime, welcome again sorry our forum is looking a bit untidy at the moment, we are in the middle of a software upgrade and since everyone here is a volunteer it will take a little while to get everything sorted.

Toni xx
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

Mine stops at L5 - so we're getting lower!! As Toni says, there a some members with L5-S1 fusions who will hopefully comment soon
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Hi
    I am fused from T3 to Pelvis, I can only bend from hips, can squat to pick things up from floor, am able to tie shoelaces etc you will learn to adapt.

Muriel