Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bracing young teen, need support...

Unhappy Bracing young teen, need support...

Hi there, we are bracing our young teen (13), who is about to start high school. Medically we are watching closely and have our first X-ray this week after 4months in brace. However I am almost as worried about mental anguish...she is athletic, smart, beautiful...but can't see it with this brace on. Her self image and esteem is shot. She would rather have surgery she says....no, she doesn't! She's only 27*, s-curve and 20*. Are there any other parents out there or young adults who,have been through this...at this stage? I'm hoping to hear from someone where bracing worked ... I desperately need positive hope.

Default Re: Bracing young teen, need support...

Hi . My daughter was also braced at 13yrs, but I'm afraid it's not such a positive story... however will happily tell you her experience if you want to hear it . I posted on here quite a bit when my daughter was first braced, and did get a lot of support from other parents and people who had been through it themselves, so there are positives out there xx

Red face Re: Bracing young teen, need support...

Hello Beagler - thanks for the support. I know that many here have faced surgery, and many are certainly worse than 27*... I'm just so very worried about the outcome. Today we went to the Dr, and we havent progressed - says she needs about another year - - bone growth not done at all. I know that this can give a false sense of security - and this can get bad fast....so....sigh. Worried like crazy. Thanks for reaching out Mom:Mom!

Hi

Having a brace as a teenager is very hard. Normal teenage feelings of body image, finding your place in this world and hormones are magnified by the brace. I had a brace when I was a teen (although my condition is more complex than your daughter's) but what kept me positive was knowing that I was loved and accepted for who I am at home. No excuses were made for my condition (even when I had the brace on). I was expected to keep up on family walks and take part in normal childhood activities. This kept my flimsy self-esteem intact during a difficult period of my life. My advice - keep letting your daughter know that she is beautiful, loved and talented - she will get through this and will one day look back on it as important to her own personal growth. Through it she will be learning to draw on her inner strength and it will shape her values in later life. I hope this helps reassure you. Keep going, one day at a time.

Karenxxx

Karen, thank you so much for your words of wisdom to this mom. You are so right in saying how important it is to keep the expectations at standard. Just the reminder I needed to hear. God Bless you.

My son is 17 and currently in a brace and has been for past 2 1/2 years. First two weeks were the worst, after that he adjusted very well. He's just been given date for operation for next month so it is coming to an end. We always knew the brace wouldn't prevent it, but he has growth issues so it was important for him to get as much growth before op as possible, so brace definitely slowed down his progression. Positives are:- it helped so much with his pain, you really couldn't see it even under quite tight tops (I keep tapping him to see if it's on!), and because he can't sit down for long time at a stretch, he got extra time in his exams and sat in a room on his own so that he could get up and move around. He went on holiday with it, on school trips and to parties. He does karate so would take it off for that, but still managed to compete in a world championship and finally, living in a cold country, it kept him warm. Hope this helps, good luck. Dilys XX

Thank you for the reply! I am terrified of surgery, and am praying this brace holds her long enou to avoid rods. We've started school...just day one so far, and taking this one step at a time. Ugh.

I hope you have as positive a time as we have. If there is anything else you want to ask us, please feel free to pm. Nicol (and us) was terrified of the operation, in fact I can remember him asking if he could stay in his brace for ever, but now he can't wait as he has become so much worse and feels he will be able to finally get on with his life afterwards. Good luck with everything. XX

Smile Re: Bracing young teen, need support...

Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    Hi . My daughter was also braced at 13yrs, but I'm afraid it's not such a positive story... however will happily tell you her experience if you want to hear it . I posted on here quite a bit when my daughter was first braced, and did get a lot of support from other parents and people who had been through it themselves, so there are positives out there xx
    Hi my names Becky. I am not a parent of a scoliosis child but one myself. I was braced at 11 (but now 13), and can totally relate to everything thats going on. It can be really tough at times, but remember that it can grant you a while to perspective to life. I have had the brace for a year or two now and there are definitely ups and downs. I know this isn't the most supportive or helpful post on this forum, but i would like to say that having scoliosis makes us unique. There are all of these funny inside jokes (like we have natural "swagger") and having scoliosis gives us an experience that any "normal" person wouldn't get the chance to have.

Bracing is tough. Yes, braces can be hard to wear but hey your bulletproof. There is a company called Hope's Closet where you can order shirts to go under the brace. They are very comfortable and make the brace a lot less of a pain.

Having the brace to wear during school is a bit tough too. Yet when i wear it to school no one noticed. I only told close friends, and they didn't look at me any differently. With Gym I just took the brace off during the class period and then went to the nurse after to have help with putting it back on.

I really hope that this helped, and that your daughter is ok. Best of luck!

Becky, wow. You are such a strong girl for sharing...thank you.

Hi momhelp i would recommend curvy girls it a international support group system for girls run by girls. I was 13 when I was placed in my brace. I'm no longer in it. But some tips for cold weather long pants like legging, sweat pants or regular pant that are warm. During hot weather shorts, skirts, or my favorite dresses. Yes I agree with you Becky on hopes closet for the shirts.
    Kara
    Posterior Spinal Fusion March 10,2010
    T4-L2

Thank you.

Your welcome and tell your daughter she not alone in this
    Kara
    Posterior Spinal Fusion March 10,2010
    T4-L2

Quote Originally Posted by nerak View Post
    Hi

Having a brace as a teenager is very hard. Normal teenage feelings of body image, finding your place in this world and hormones are magnified by the brace. I had a brace when I was a teen (although my condition is more complex than your daughter's) but what kept me positive was knowing that I was loved and accepted for who I am at home. No excuses were made for my condition (even when I had the brace on). I was expected to keep up on family walks and take part in normal childhood activities. This kept my flimsy self-esteem intact during a difficult period of my life. My advice - keep letting your daughter know that she is beautiful, loved and talented - she will get through this and will one day look back on it as important to her own personal growth. Through it she will be learning to draw on her inner strength and it will shape her values in later life. I hope this helps reassure you. Keep going, one day at a time.

Karenxxx
    Karen, just want you to know I re-read your post often. It is very inspiring...as I hear the Velcro going on in her bedroom tonight...putting on this Brace. They are so strong. Thank you!

I was braced at 12. And I couldn't stand the way I looked. But my friends were there. Alot of the times, when a parent, or adult, says something nice. We don't believe them. Most of the time, when my friends, or strangers would say I looked good it helped. I learn how to wear shirts that wear cute but didn't make it obvious I was wearing a brace (I wore a boston brace) and it made me feel better. For me it was mostly about how my "fat", I have now realized it was only skin, would poke out the side, top, and bottom. I thought I was fat because of it. I realized that I was the only one who thought that way. I found this site. I set up an account and found support. For me, if my mom hadn't allowed me to go on this site. I don't know how different things would be. Just reading what other people said and thought about my situation helped me. I think the best way would be to let her find some of her own help. Telling her she is beautiful will definitely help her, but not alone.