Thread: Is it okay to do manual work with kyphosis?

England - Kent

Default Is it okay to do manual work with kyphosis?

I have moderate Scheuermann’s kyphosis and I am 23, I've not had surgery for it. My question is whether it is okay for someone with my condition to have a job that involves manual labour. More specifically things like labouring on a construction site and re-decorating etc. Its only a summer job but I have done it for the last couple of summers without too much trouble. I am just worried I may be causing myself problems further down the line. I understand that anybody with a physical job must be careful of their backs but should I avoid this kind of work all together because of my kyphosis?

Default Re: Is it okay to do manual work with kyphosis?

My experience is that physical work is beneficial for my back, and I have a very severe kyphosis at 104 degrees. However, I try to avoid heavy lifting, and I _never_ lift heavy objects using my back actively. If I need to lift something I try to straighten my back as far as possible and use my legs/knees for the lifting. I recommend that you stay active but try to avoid excessive lifting. Use tools/lifts/trucks for the heavy stuff.

Washington State

Toref had a great response to your question, I just wanted to add that I agree it's important to 'workout' your spine and not baby it - at least in my experience. I just made sure to always practice proper bending and lifting techniques and wore a low-back support brace. I found that my spinal imbalance made me a bit more prone to pain/wear-and-tear so it was important to be careful and use the right techniques. Still, I think the benefits of being active outweigh concerns for injury, just as long as you're careful.
    - Kay

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. 30 years later, I had posterior fusion surgery, expertly handled by Dr. Sethi on Earth Day 2014. The surgery reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.

South Shields via Bradford

My only advice would be careful lifting heavy things, I used to find that I was really in a lot of pain the day after I had done any lifting
    Latitude: 54° 57' 34" N Longitude: 1° 25' 16" W

Mark's a groovin an a movin