Thread: Loss of correction

Default Loss of correction

Hi everyone about a week ago I posted here saying that I think the lower part if my spine looks like it's curving quite a bit. I had spinal fusion from T10 to L3 about 7 months ago. My mum phoned my spinal nurse and she said that x rays will be needed to see and to be sure if it's curved or not but my surgeon is on annual leave so the best appointment is at the end of August. I'm glad I'm going to get it checked out but I'm a little worried about it. The curve looks like it goes from the bottom of the fusion so maybe about L1, 2 and 3 and then where it isn't fused, L4 and 5 but this is just a guess. I've showed my mum and she can definetly see the curve and my sister too.

Any advice on what to do? There probably isn't much left that can be done.
    Also, is there any guesses on what would happen if it had indeed curved like I thought? Do you think I would get braced or maybe observation? I know it's difficult to say as everyone's different

Thank you for any help!

Default Re: Loss of correction

You would definitely need X-rays to be sure if there's been any increase in curvature and to what degree. It makes sense to wait until your original surgeon is back off hols, provided you're not in any distress. If the unfused section has curved significantly he may suggest extending the fusion. It may just be the result of things settling down after your surgery though, so don't worry too much. Also, even if it did come to that, the surgery would be tiny compared to the first one
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Hi Gillyg! thank you for replying

When you said a second surgery would be tiny compared to the first, what exactly do you mean by that?

Also, say I got x rays and it had curved like I thought and I was offered a second surgery, would it be quite necessary? I know there would be a chance it wouldn't curve anymore and everyone's different but just considering that it's not causing me (so far) anymore pain than what is normal for me, having surgery not long ago.

Thank you again!

I just meant that it wouldn't involve as many vertebrae and therefore the operation wouldn't be as extensive. It might not be necessary at all, so please don't fret
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Thank you so much for the help!