Thread: Trunk rotation - Is it possible to fix?

Default Trunk rotation - Is it possible to fix?

Hey guys,
    I have been doing physical therapy for awhile now and have aligned everything from head to toe multiple times. My posture is really good, my hips are as aligned as they possibly can, but my biggest problem is still my twisted trunk. My chest/ribs/and spine are all twisted and I wake up every morning with my spine feeling really twisted. I can't seem to solve this and it's really bothering me. I can do the supine spine stretch to release my spine temporarily but otherwise my body is usually stuck in a rotated position. My PT hasn't given me any type of exercise to address this and I want to know if anyone here has any experience in terms of spinal rotation for congenital/structural scoliosis. Much appreciated.

Default Re: Trunk rotation - Is it possible to fix?

How recent was your surgery? From what I've heard, the spine takes a while to settle. This could take up to a year for some individuals. I had my fusion a couple weeks back, and have noticed some rotation. Not too worried about it.

My spine rotates to the right but when I bend over my right arm drops lower than my left arm which is really odd since my right side is my concave side. I notice than when I try to even them out I end up stretching my left upper back which usually allows me to breathe better. Anyone know what's up with this?

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

On which side is your rib hump, Richard?
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

My rib hump is on the right side

If your rib hump is on your right hand side then you have a right convex thoracic curve, not a concave one. The convexity is what causes it to bow outwards into the hump.
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
    If your rib hump is on your right hand side then you have a right convex thoracic curve, not a concave one. The convexity is what causes it to bow outwards into the hump.
    http://i.imgur.com/H3UZD.jpg
    my chest and ribs look a lot like this

Ah I see - the vast majority of people have their rib humps at the posterior of their ribcage, but yours is interesting and different due to you having an unusual form of scoli. Thanks for posting the picture! How does your spine look from behind when you bend over to do the Adams' Forward Bend Test - do you have a posterior rib hump at all?

Ah I see - the vast majority of people have their rib humps at the posterior of their ribcage, but yours is interesting and different due to you having an unusual form of scoli. Thanks for posting the picture! How does your spine look from behind when you bend over to do the Adams' Forward Bend Test - do you have a posterior rib hump at all?
    Yessir, my right back sticks out when I bend over. My left chest and ribs are higher than my right side. My right chest/ribs are caved in like in the picture. My right back sticks out and my left upper back is extremely tight. I hear from an expert that is the result of a vertebral rotation at birth but no one seems to know the exact name for it. I've also only seen 2 images of people with this exact condition online. I've read a lot of threads about people with have similar conditions but only 2 people I've seen actually has all the descriptions I listed above. There needs to be more information on this condition.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4...s14edit7wi.jpg

Here is another person with the same condition. Right side of chest sunken in, sternum tilted, right side of my chest slightly raised with their right back sticking outwards.

I can't really post the link to the rib hump but if you type in "pectus excavatum firefighter" on google, you'll see the 3 pictures of the guy with this condition.

http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/file...=40558&aid=728

Here is also another person with a similar condition. Once again, left side sticking outwards and right side is stunted.

For me personally, my left upper back is extremely tight in an attempt to pull my left shoulder backwards, and my right chest tends to become very tight to try to pull my right shoulder forward in an attempt to rotate the body into a more stable position. Unfortunately the constant asymmetrical tightening of my left upper back and right chest makes it very difficult for me to breathe. There really, really needs to be more insight into this condition.

bump