Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need further surgery

Default I need further surgery

Hi all

Had my 5 yearly check up with Mr F yesterday, he has recommended further surgery for my junctional kyphosis, he was telling me had attended a meeting of surgeons recently where they spent 2 days discussing complications in adult scoliosis/kyphosis patients. Although they did not come to any conclusions is great that these eminent surgeons are discussing adult surgery and spending such a long time at it.

They also spent some of the time discussing the problems of junctional issues which is also fantastic to hear as it shows they are talking about problems ocurring in adults post surgery

My family are 100 percent behind this decision

It could be a half hour op or it could be a 4 hour op, he won't know till he goes in but what he has said he will do is he will remove the offending hardware, screws and hooks at the top of the fusion anything after that is in the lap of kyphosis gods

Don't really know how i feel about this, I wanted further surgery a couple of years ago due to the pain issues but now its part of me and I am loathe to loose something that is part of me

Does that make any sense?

Anyway all I need to do is phone his sec and book myself in, his waiting lists for surgery for surgery is confusing and he couldn't even give me a ball park figure but I am working on around a three month wait

thanks for reading, take care

Mark
    Latitude: 54° 57' 34" N Longitude: 1° 25' 16" W

Mark's a groovin an a movin

Default Re: I need further surgery

Hi Mark,

The surgeru recommendation must be quite bittersweet. In a way you want to be fixed in a way more surgery sounds like a nightmare. I can definitely understand what you are saying because I would feel exactly the same way. The hardware almost becomes part of you and it feels supportive.

I've gotten to the point where I'm so terrified of follow ups ive just haven't been making the appointments at all. I never knoe what to say to them.

Hoping that all goes well and everything goes smoothly.

Ange

Mr Fender is a good bloke Mark and if he thinks you would benefit from further surgery I'd go with his opinion if I were you. It's great to hear that your family are behind you now, I know that wasn't always the case before, understandably considering what a terrible time you had first time around. Make that call, book the surgery and I promise I'll try to come and visit you in hospital again!!
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Quote Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
    and I promise I'll try to come and visit you in hospital again!!
    Thanks Gilly, this time you won't need to rush back, you can stay with my family so you don't need to do the trek in one day

Ange - thanks for your kind words and I'm glad it's not just me who thinks of there hardware as part of there body. I thought it was just me being silly

I am sorry to hear that you need further surgery but I am so glad that the surgeons still have you in their sights and are willing to help you further.

Try to concentrate on that - that they intend to improve things for you - believe me that is a huge plus although I understand that you might be 'frozen' about which way to go.

The most awful thing is to be told that nothing can be done and to be told to live with the pain so I fervently hope they help you.

Take care - I can't visit you because I live in the 'soft' south but I would if I could.
    Burdle -

Hi Burdle

Thanks for your kind words, I know you are fighting the system and I know that having found a surgeon and being told that he is retiring must be the most frustrating thing in the world because fighting for attention as an adult is a fight that is extremely hard. I just wish you and some others on here who are finding it difficult to be taken seriously as an adult patient had a surgeon like mine who does take adult issues seriously and does look at quality life when deciding how to proceed with adults presenting difficult cases

Thanks again for your kind words and if I'm ever down your way it would good to meet up and have a cup of tea and a bun, you have my contact details if you ever need to rant, chat laugh or cry

Take care

Mark

Oh Mark, im so sorry to hear this is on the cards for you, knowing slightly how hard it has been for you over the years, but it's pleasing to hear that you have such a caring surgeon and that with going through this, when you do, it will help you get a better life once more

Take it easy now

Jay
    Diagnosed at 14 in '08 with Neuromuscular Kyposcoliosis (due to my Neurofibromatosis Type 1) in the Thoraco-lumber region (T-65* L60*).
    Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14

Thanks Jay, your words are a comfort especially as you are just going through your own surgery now, how are you feeling, I hope your not in too much discomfort

take care mate

Mark

A question aimed at those who have had salvage/revision surgery -

How did you feel post op, my surgeon has said it is less of an invasive procedure and they go through the original scar but I was just wondering if you found recovery any easier than that of the original procedure (I know I suffered more than most at my original surgery but it is still very raw in my minds eye)

Thanks in anticipation

Mark

My revision surgeries were a complete doddle compared to the 'biggie', I'm not joking either. I know it won't be the same experience for everyone, but just realising how small an area they'll be working on compared to first time round should be some indication of a swifter recovery
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Hi Mark,

I'm pleased to hear that you sound so positive about further surgery (although you must be apprehensive too), I know this has been on the cards for a while for you and its great that your surgeon is so caring and supportive. I'm sure that after this you will feel much more comfortable. As you know I've been 'toying'' with the idea of removal and I would only have to give the word and Mr Ahmed would do it but like you I've grown to like my hardware and the pain I have is part of me. On my bad days of course I wonder whether I've made the right decision and I probably always will.

Take care Mark and you know everyone's here for you xx
    Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight

Mark

Living in pain is a hard thing especially after our surgeries and beyond our normal recovery time. I know my neck herniation’s last year were extremely painful and was ready to have my neck fused on a moments notice. When I was told that I had to endure meds and tough it out, it was surprising after hearing the words “Why did you wait so long” on my scoliosis surgeries. I waited 34 years and I didn’t want to wait any more, I wanted my neck fixed right away.

After living in pain all the years we get used to things....and we don’t realize it until someone comments on it. Others notice it, but usually bite their tongues, unless its bad.....

We had a local out here that had a T10-Pelvis scoli surgery done that fell forward (PJK) 5 years post. She invited me over for dinner and she held in there pretty good till around 8PM then she couldn’t hang anymore and I could see the pain revealed at full force. She lost all hope and I told her that she had to at least visit my surgeon for a peek. He mentioned that he would take her up to T2 and that it was going to be easy.....She did the revision surgery and is thankful now.

In talking about the “lap of the kyphosis gods”, I did get to see Queen in New York City in 1978....Jazz tour....It was a good show.

I do support your decision......

Ed

55 yr old male
    T70 L70 double trouble
    A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008

It sounds like you have a great doctor. I have an amazing doctor myself and I know if he suggested another surgery I'd do it while i'm still able to.

Thanks for the kind words Rod and Cat

This little piece of cyberspace is the most wonderfully supportive, squidgy and just plain old fashioned nicest place in the big bad bad world of the net.

I love it

Hi Mark - It's great to hear that you'll be having revision surgery to correct your junctional kyphosis. It must be a frightening prospect after all the hell you went through the first time but I've read your posts regarding ongoing pain issues and it makes sense that revision surgery will help with that.

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    - Kay

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.