Thread: Pilates teacher (or similar) near Guildford?

Cool Pilates teacher (or similar) near Guildford?

Hi everyone,
    Brand new in here and I'm aware I'm probably posting in the wrong place so sorry to intrude on another conversation but seeing your address as guildford I'm hoping you may be able to help?
    We are looking for non surgical help and wonder if you know of a good pilates or other teacher or clinic in the local area that knows a bit about scoliosis. I think recommendation is the way forward so fingers crossed you guys can help. Thanks !

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Pilates teacher (or similar) near Guildford?

Hi Claire, welcome to SSO

I've moved your post to its own thread so that more people will see it hopefully we have members who live near to to you who can help.

I do know of an excellent physio who lives in Surrey and may be able to help you:

Kate McGowan, physiotherapist

Welcome again,
    Toni xx
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

Default Re: Pilates teacher (or similar) near Guildford?

Hi Claire

You said Pilates 'or similar', so I wondered if you had considered the Alexander Technique? You can find out more and locate a teacher near you via their website at:

http://www.stat.org.uk/
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker