Thread: Hospital appointment today

Default Hospital appointment today

Hi all, My 15 year old son, Ryan and have been diagnosed with a curve of 56 degrees. Been to see Mr Gibson today, and decided to go ahead with fusion surgery for the thoracic part of the spine. It will be at Stanmore in July sometime. We have been trying theraflex treatment which seems to have helped but not enough. Has anyone else here been to Mr Gibson? He seems very good and a very nice man. Feeling scared!

Default Re: Hospital appointment today

Yes, we have a few members who have had successful treatment under Mr Gibson, one of them being our youngest moderator, Tiffany Your son is in good hands!
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Hiya, I had surgery under Mr Gibson for a thoracic curve of the same size he's a lovely guy and your son is in great hands! I was also 15 when I had my surgery.
    I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).

Can you tell me about the recovery? How long until you could get in and out the bath? Or tie shoelaces? I don't know what to expect?

Can I ask which Mr Gibson this is? I had my operation done by a Mr Gibson in Newcastle x

mr Alex Gibson at the Sire Bushey. Op at Stanmore.28 June

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Newcastle is cool as they have both a Mr Fender and a Mr Gibson there

The Occupational Therapists will make sure that Ryan can do things to take care of himself, like get in and out of the bath and tie his shoelaces. He will find bending impossible at first (and you're not supposed to bend or twist at all in the first few weeks after surgery) so they'll teach him to lift one foot onto a chair in order to tie his laces.
    He'll be able to do all of these things by the time he goes home.
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

I had my 2 surgeries done by Dr. King in Tarzana Ca. He is amazing, honest and well respected. He's a children's doctor. He's getting up there in age but a good man and brilliant. I would t go to anyone else.
    The surgeries nowadays are so advanced. My first surgery was in 1981 and I was in bed for a month. I had to learn how to walk again. My bones didn't fuse and then we found Dr. King and he was the one who took the Harrington rod out and replaced it with a CD rod. I was up and walking a few hours after surgery. So I can't even imagine how far advanced they are now. If it's anything like I went through, I recovered so fast and wasn't in much pain at all. I'm an actress and 2 weeks later danced in the Madonna's Pepsi commercial and then went off to Canada to film MacGyver. That didn't make Dr. King very happy. But that can give you a gage on how fast kids recover. My second surgery was in 1989, so I'm sure they have progressed SO much further now. I know it's scary, but keep a smile on your face and keep your child positive. It really helps. 💕👍

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi Holly, welcome to SSO

It's interesting to see someone who had Juvenile Scoliosis here, we don't get many How old were you when you were diagnosed, and how old were you when you had your first surgery? Do you know what caused your scoliosis - was it congenital or idiopathic or was it caused by another condition? And did you wear braces or plaster body casts after you were diagnosed?

Sorry for all the questions! Welcome again

Toni xx
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.