Thread: 6 months post-op and my muscle soreness has not gone away

Default 6 months post-op and my muscle soreness has not gone away

Can anybody chime in on what this is and how to fix it?

I feel like my muscles surrounding my upper spine that spread to my lats are just so damn tight. They almost hurt when somebody touches them but feels so good at the same time when they get massaged.

Lately the muscle pain has been so bad i'm having a hard time sleeping. What can help this? Heat therapy? Electric stimulus therapy? Deep tissue massages? Yoga? Anything? They hurt so bad.

Thank you
    Mike

Default Re: 6 months post-op and my muscle soreness has not gone away

If the problem is muscular then I would advise trying those wheatbags which you heat up in a microwave. I swear by them for my aches and pains
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Mike,

Have you stared physical therapy yet?

-Kay
    - Kay

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.

Quote Originally Posted by KMaxwell View Post
    Mike,

Have you stared physical therapy yet?

-Kay
    Yea i did physical therapy for 8 weeks but only 1 day a week. I'm already in the gym 4 days a week doing semi light weight training. So everything is good with that just the muscle cramps and tightness is almost unbearable.

I'm just over 4 months post op and when I got muscle cramps I was prescribed diazapam, as this is a muscle relaxer. I found this worked really well, I didn't take it all the time, just when the cramps kicked in.
    might be worth a go for you?
    Do I look like I'm Joking?

Hey Mike,

It's been 2 years plus for me and I still get muscle spasms occasionally. A muscle relaxer is the only thing that works for me to ease it up.

As far as working out, I have found that going easy, but regularly on the upper back and shoulders has helped keep the spasms at bay for the most part. Also, staying fairly regular in building back some chest muscles, but also stretching them a bunch has made a big difference for me. Helps to keep the posture good with less effort from the back. And core, core, core! Hitting that core will alleviate so much strain on the back in the long run.

My doc told me that spasms are not uncommon and that he frequently prescribes valium to knock them back.

This is from my experience and we're all different, but I hope this helps.

Scott
    Age 41, M, MA, USA
    T2-L1 11/7/11 & 2/9/12
    Before:110 After:50