Thread: Can people with harrington rods do SpineCor?

Default Can people with harrington rods do SpineCor?

So I know this lady who's had billions of surgeries her whole life for scoliosis. I know correction be the goal, but pain relief with the adult brace. I don't know exactly how old she is, probably in her 40's or 50's. I also wanted to introduce her and a couple other scolie friends to Alexander Technique in a workshop. Just wondering if she could have the brace with rods or if it wouldn't do much.

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Can people with harrington rods do SpineCor?

I personally believe that a brace like the Spinecor could help relieve pain in someone already fused, by providing support to their spine. It is very expensive though and I'm not sure she could get it prescribed on the NHS for pain relief.
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

We live in the US by the way. Huh. I've always wondered why most people are from the UK here. This site comes up a lot in my google searches so you'd think a few more Americans would come across it.
    I think it costs about $6000 here, and covered by most insurances. Not to say that's inexpensive, especially since I'm considering doing it and my parents will have to pay.
    Thanks for the info

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Most Americans like to use the National Scoliosis Foundation of America forums (NSF) so you might like to check them out too. Quite a few of our members are members there too - I am, as we're all in this together and I like to keep in touch with how things are going abroad There was a lady called Mamamax in NSf who used the Spinecor for pain relief (I think) so you might like to search there for her posts, though I don't think she posts anymore.
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

Where did you guys find the cost of the Spinecor? I'm interested in getting more information on it.

Cosmetic work

If you live in the US it's about $3800. I don't know how much it is in Europe or elsewhere.
    hip hump: age 11/Diagnosis age:14/Current:15/ left thoracolumbar T10-L4 42* caused sideways & anterior pelvic tilt, right upper thoracic compensatory 25*, caused loss of kyphosis, which caused Forward Head Posture 2" forward. Doctors disagree, if congenital, caused by L5 hemi, or idiopathic.
    As owners of their bodies, people have more control than they think. I'm tired of surrendering on exam tables and pleading to doctors, "fix me". Do my best with what I can. Face the fact that I can't do everything. Let the doctors do it. People have so much potential in their aching bones, I see it in them, I see it in me. I want to set us free. Even if I become fused, I will stand by that.

The short answer is yes they can. I know this because I have been researching for myself. I have a Harrington fusion from 35 years ago, and have had a lot of problems with pain and degenerative changes. Two months ago, my physiatrist sent me to a Dr/chiropractor who assesses for SpineCor. He said he has had some good success using Spine Cor for adults who have already been fused. Notwithstanding, I ended up ordering a Scolibrace (even newer than the SpineCor in adult use) which I have had for 3 weeks now. I have a subluxation at L4-L5 and the Doc felt the Scolibrace would help it more at the present. The subluxation is a bit of a ticking time bomb, so it was one of my priorities. I will use the Scolibrace for a year, and then I may also purchase a Spinecor brace after that. Here in British Columbia, Canada, they each cost about $4000.00