Thread: Can Scheuermann's kyphosis disease be fixed? (Pics)

Default Can Scheuermann's kyphosis disease be fixed? (Pics)

Diagnosed with Scheuermann's disease(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheuermann's_disease) 5 years ago. These pictures are about a year old and i'm in the light blue shirt. I've been very depressed(almost suicidal) lately because this makes me think I can never attain a good physique or do anything in life really. My question is, if i strengthened and grew my spinal erectors, lats, and just bulked my back overall, do you think this could be unnoticeable? When i stand straight you can't really see any problem( as seen in the second picture), because my spinal erectors are flexed. It's when i bend my back that it looks hunched. Maybe if I got my spinal erectors big and strong enough they would make it less noticeable or not noticeable at all? Opinions?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5883/photo2oa.png
    http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4243/photo1i.png
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9122/photofxo.png

Default Re: Can Scheuermann's kyphosis disease be fixed? (Pics)

Hello James. I just wanted to wish you welcome to SSO. I do not know the answer to your questions however there a lots of other people here that might be able to help[ you. Be patient most of them are from the UK and they will be around later. Your spine does not look horribly deformed from the pictures you posted but I know how painful it is to be different. All of us have been there and it is a good thing to be able to talk about our feelings. I wish you luck and please keep posting!
    I am 61 years old and the resident SSO fossil. I live in Oklahoma,USA with my husband Allen. We have one daughter Jae and she has three kids.Our grandkids are: Aidan is8. He's the one pictured in my current avatar. Jenna Jean is 7 and Ryan Allen is just 4 It's full time chaos here! I was diagnosed in 1965 at 14 years with Kyphoscoliosis and 2 curves measuring 68 and 63 degrees. My last measurements were in 2004 at 155, 88 and 55+ degrees. I have never had surgery or bracing so I now am on full time oxygen and use a Non Invasive Ventilator at night. at night.

Hi James

The only photo I could really tell on is the first one, where you are bending over slightly, but even then I'm not sure I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for it. I'm not trying to belittle how you feel about your condition, I have scoliosis and know how badly it has affected my self esteem over the years, but just wanted you to know that, as a bystander, I would probably not even notice. That said, you clearly do have a kyphotic spine and if it is Scheuermann's then it is due to wedging of the vertebrae and I'm afraid no amount of exercise can change the structural shape of your vertebrae. However, if there is also a postural element then this can potentially benefit from the right exercises, I just don't know which ones myself Titch is our resident expert on ... well, everything really Also, if you read some of the other threads in here there is one guy who has achieved amazing results by exercise alone, so never say never
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Hey James, as was said I can only barely notice in one picture so well done on that, you hide it very well (even though I can't say what pain you're going through) but just by looking I wouldn't really notice much at all.
    I've had some great success correcting mine and I manage to hide it very well.
    I don't mean this in a bad way at all but mine seemed to be a lot worse than yours (not taking away from the fact that you have it at all so certainly no offense meant by it)
    If you have a look through some of my posts you can see my progress and maybe it can help you too
    Hope you're not in too much pain,
    Gary

Thank you all very much for your replies. This is a wonderful community.

Hi James, I am A GP in Gloucester. Myself and my husband ( an osteopath in Tetbury) treated our son Seb with focused exercises from the Schroth manual ( Katerina Scroth method- which has a good evidence base for being helpful). Seb had quite an anterior rib ridge down the left ribs and a pronounced hump of the midback when he bent over. He was 15 at diagnosis and was happy to do the often difficult regime.
    We were lucky that his dad was an osteopath so knew what he was doing, but the results in terms of appearance were very good ( By recruiting muscles that are weak and less prominent, and learning postural correction).
    I have a slight post Scheurmans kyphosis and do exercises as an adult and reduce the visible problem whilst also reducing back pain.
    Dont despair, Just be determined to work on the problem with the correct help!
    Lindsay Roberts

Look at Tamztoms posts . He is an expert on non surgical correction after his experiince with his daughter Tamzin.