Thread: Brace Rash?

Default Brace Rash?

Hi everyone

Adam's been wearing a brace since January. All has been well until the last couple of days when I noticed a rash on his back. It's on the opposite side to his curve (so not where the padding is to put pressure on his curve) but covers most of the area from spine to the side of his body, and from top to bottom of the brace. It's red, looks almost like sunburn, not patchy, but feels bumpy a bit like orange peel. It seems itchy when we take the brace off but he's not complaining about it otherwise.

Has anyone else seen this sort of rash? Wondering whether GP or Alder Hey....and if AH, consultant or orthotics?

Thanks

Rachel
    Mum to Adam, age 5 and a half; idiopathic infantile scoliosis diagnosed December 2008, 1st cast November 2009 reducing curve from 44 to 31 degrees. 2nd cast February 2010 reducing to 24 degrees. 3rd Cast May 2010 reducing to 18 degrees (4th cast in July due to pressure sore). 5th cast October 2010 reducing to 14 degrees. Boston Brace fitted January 2011 onwards.

Default Re: Brace Rash?

Maddy gets a similar rash when she gets hot and sweaty. Could it be that?
    Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.

I did wonder about that, he obviously has a vest next to his skin underneath the brace, but he's meant to wear it 24/7 unless he's having a shower/bath so is there anything I can do to help it?

Rachel x
    Mum to Adam, age 5 and a half; idiopathic infantile scoliosis diagnosed December 2008, 1st cast November 2009 reducing curve from 44 to 31 degrees. 2nd cast February 2010 reducing to 24 degrees. 3rd Cast May 2010 reducing to 18 degrees (4th cast in July due to pressure sore). 5th cast October 2010 reducing to 14 degrees. Boston Brace fitted January 2011 onwards.

She never had to wear hers at night so she would put some E45 on it when she went to bed and it would just go. Maybe you should speak to someone in Orthotics because they should have come across this before, unless of course you think there may be a different cause of the rash which I guess you would need to show your GP.

Rachie x
    Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.

It does sound like a heat rash, not that I'm an expert or anything Odd that it's just the one side though
    Me, a Mod? Nah ... I'll always be a rocker

Hi there
    My son Cam had an itchy red raised rash from wearing his brace. It was a fungal infection caused by
    being hot and sweaty!! Our GP prescribed him some anti fungal gel which cleared it up. Antihistamine also helped with the itch!
    It took a while for it to go though! I also used to use antibacterial wipes to clean the brace when he took it off to shower.
    Hope it clears up soon.
    Tracyx
    Hi I'm Tracy - mum to Cameron 17yrs who had anterior release, costoplasty, and posterior fusion at RNOH Stanmore 2009 under care of Mr Sean Molloy. All procedures done in one 9 hour operation. Thorocolumbular curve reduced from 74 to 16 degrees. Fused T3 to L2. Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis.

Hi

Katie had a rash and it turned out to be an allergic reaction to an immunisation injection she had had? Has he had any injections recently??? I took Katie back to clinic where they took her cast off and left it off for a couple of weeks until it had gone!

Make an appointment to see the GP - I am sure they will know what sort of rash it is!!!

love Claire xx

Thanks everyone.....we have been putting E45 on Adam's skin since he came out of plaster as his skin was dry....tonight it was less red but beginning to extend further so I'm guessing heat rash is likely given the change in the weather. If it's not improved Monday I'll take him to see the GP in case it needs treatment; hadn't thought about it becoming fungal, thanks for the tip off!

Rachel

Hello, my daughter is 6 and her boston seems to give her the exact same rash - she had an appt the next day so I just asked them and they said it was simply a heat rash and sweating was just making it worse.
    We put Sudocrem on the rash and wait until it has completely dried and soaked in (only 5/10 minutes) until we put her brace back on. It seems to do the trick!
    Its definitely the heat - although its so hard to keep them cool in hot weather!