Thread: Lung deflation?

Default Lung deflation?

I was wondering do they always have to deflate a lung when you have anterior/posterior surgery?
    When I asked the dr who stood in for my surgeon he just said they dont always have to do that
    In what situation might they have to?

tonibunny is offline T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Lung deflation?

They may need to do it if they have to do an anterior procedure to the thoracic spine, and perhaps for a costoplasty. It's nothing to worry about, though you'll wake up with a chest drain and it can feel a bit odd when they remove it.
    37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.

I had my lung deflated
    Latitude: 54 57' 34" N Longitude: 1 25' 16" W

Mark's a groovin an a movin

I had my lung deflated for the anterior part of my surgery. They were removing discs around T2-T5 (not sure exactly which ones), so they needed to deflate it to get to my spine.

It was fine - nothing to worry about. If they deflate your lung, you'll have a chest tube when you wake up to drain it . This is to make sure that fluid doesn't build up. I had mine in for 3 days. It was a bit uncomfortable because it was so big and it hurt a bit when they took it out, mostly because they had to stitch the incision closed.

They deflated my lung when I had my anterior surgery (T11-L5) although I always wondered why as it was such a low fusion

It was fine though and I didn't experience any problems from it
    Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Under the care of Jeremy Fairbank.