View Single Post
Old 30th January 2008, 07:49 PM
Maddy's Mum

I have only spoken to the spinal liaison sister about this and she says that PE has to be done wearing a brace, so she can't do forward rolls and stuff like that. And she didn't think she could do anything like monkey bars as this pulls on the spine. She was a bit too vague for my liking so I will be keeping her off PE until I can ask a consultant exactly what is allowed. Swimming is definitely allowed (without a brace!) but no jumping or diving in.

When surgery was first mentioned I was given the impression that ballet would be allowed (without a brace) but Maddy stopped doing this about a year ago anyway so we haven't had to find out for sure.

I think growth rods are prone to breaking because they are only fixed at the top and bottom and so are subject to stresses that normal rods are not.

Sorry I don't know more. You should see a consultant at Erin's pre-op day so you can ask then.

How are you Andrea? I hope you are not feeling like a beached whale! I was thinking - I hope you have supportive friends/family on hand to help you after Erin's surgery as you will be physically knackered and your hormones will be all over the place after the baby arrives.

Rachie x
Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.