View Single Post
Old 5th May 2014, 11:18 PM

Default Re: School with a brace

I wore a brace in middle school and my first year of high school. Mine was the Copes Scoliosis Dynamic brace. It was a hard plastic brace with air pockets that the staff would fill up when I went for appointments almost every three months. My brace limited me a bit. If I was sitting down and wearing the brace, if I would bend down to pick up something, the brace would press on my legs and immediately cut off circulation. I also had lung problems not related to the scoliosis and the brace made that issue worse and decreased my lung capacity. I did not get teased or bullied about the brace. Some kids at my high school were curious about it and asked what it was. Without knowing what kind of brace you have, it is difficult to know if you would have any limitations. The materials my brace was made out of were what made me have problems with it.

One thing I would recommend is see if your teachers would be willing to let you borrow some of their extra text books, particularly heavy ones, so that you have extras at home. That way, you do not have to carry extra books and make your back worse. Then, you would return the books at the end of the year. My family and I made arrangements with my high school to have an extra history textbook at my house, so that I did not have to carry extra books and make my back worse.